Foundation / Corporation
Junior League of Memphis (JLM)
10/15/17 11:59 PM Receipt
Grants to Arkansas, Mississippi, and Tennessee PreK-8 teachers to benefit high-need children the Memphis metro area. The purpose of this program is to enhance children’s quality of life by supporting and encouraging teaching excellence. Funding will enable teachers to provide creative and original learning experiences beyond the basic curriculum allocated through school budgets.
The focus of the 2017-2018 Innovative Teaching Grants will be Literacy. Qualifying projects will incorporate Literacy into their plan with higher awards integrating the Arts & Sciences.
In general, funds may be used for artist visits to classroom, computer software, tickets to performing or visual arts events (not to exceed more than 50 percent of grant monies), consumable materials and supplies.
Grants will be evaluated by a blind review process using the following criteria:
-Learning Experience – Does the project implement original and creative learning experiences for the students?
-Benefit to the Students – Will it be a memorable and unique educational experience?
-Creativity and Practicality – Is it innovative and how will it be executed?
-Effectiveness – Are goals set and project completion date specified?
-Budget – Is it realistic? Is the budget clearly defined by line item?
Teacher Tool Kit:
Classroom supplies that aim to foster creativity and critical thinking in students. Supplies must be re-usable for multiple school years.
Professional development must foster insightful and innovative professional training and growth; improve practice, curriculum and student achievement. Recipients must put professional leadership into practice by sharing what they learn with their colleagues. Cannot be used to fund a degree.
Student Field Experiences:
Seeks to expand the parameters of the classroom by providing opportunities for you to fund educational excursions for your classes. Funds may be used for, registration for events, admission prices and other field trip expenditures. May not be used for transportation.
Integration of Arts & Sciences (Classroom Project):
Create a plan/project that fosters critical thinking and problem solving in students and aims to expand their comprehension and integration of arts and sciences.
Integration of Arts & Sciences (High Impact):
Create a plan/project that fosters critical thinking and problem solving in students and aims to expand their comprehension and integration of arts and sciences. High impact projects must benefit 75+ students.
GrantWatch ID#: 175861
-Teacher Tool Kit: Up to $250
-Professional Development: Up to $500
-Student Field Experiences: Up to $500
-Integration of Arts & Sciences (Classroom Project): Up to $750
-Integration of Arts & Sciences (High Impact): Up to $1,000
The project must be completed by April 29, 2018.
This program awards grants to preK-8 teachers in need in the Memphis metro area.
In order to meet the qualification of projects that reach school children in need, at least 80 percent of the projects selected will be from schools that meet Title I eligibility within the past five school terms. The remaining 20 percent may be from schools that demonstrate need in another capacity.
If you have been a JLM Innovative Teaching Grants recipient in the past, you are still eligible for the 2017-18 grant cycle.
In general, funds may not be used for major equipment, computers, tablets, computer hardware, capital improvements, teacher/staff compensation, food, transportation or digital cameras.
-Application receipt deadline: Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 11:59 PM
-Grant recipients will be notified no later than: Wednesday, November, 1, 2017
-Grant reception meeting (Meet JLM contacts and monies distributed): November 2017
-Projects implemented and site visits made by JLM Innovative Teaching Grant Committee: November 2017 – May 2018
-Grant evaluations and itemized expenses due to JLM: Sunday, April 8, 2018
-Video submissions for 2017-2018 JLM Innovative Teaching Grants projects due to JLM: Sunday, May 6, 2018
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Wanda Brooks, Administrative Manager
The Community Resource Center
3475 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111-4407
P: (901) 452-2151
F: (901) 452-1470
Memphis Metro Area
USA: Arkansas; Mississippi; Tennessee