Foundation / Corporation
Nebraska Investment Finance Authority (NIFA)
11/16/18 5:00 PM
Grants of up to $60,000 to Nebraska nonprofit and for-profit economic or housing development agencies for studies that stimulate ideas for community, neighborhood, and regional planning. Plans should encompass community, housing, place-based, and economic development opportunities within the state.
The area to be included in the study must be a specifically defined geographic area, and may include a neighborhood, community, region or county. The Housing Study Grant may be used to finance a new study or an update to a study conducted five (5) or more years previously. Exceptions to the foregoing may be granted by NIFA on a case by case basis.
The Application must indicate how the study will address the following components:
1. The housing needs of the selected area must be evaluated and proposed future housing development identified. Some portion of the final study should include recommendations for projects potentially eligible for NIFA financing.
2. The incorporation of an identified public planning process in order to encourage citizens to actively participate in the shaping of the future of their community.
3. Evidence of coordination with and participation of the local municipality and other stakeholders in the community in the process of the study.
4. The inclusion of recommendations for, at a minimum, development of one of the following: future land use planning, community facilities, transportation needs, and or employment opportunities.
5. The Application must include a detailed timeline for the completion of the study. The final study should include a workable timeline for the implementation of the proposed recommendations.
6. The Application must include a detailed budget setting forth all costs and expenses related to the proposed study. All professionals providing services in connection with the completion of the study must be clearly identified with contact information (or, if not yet identified, the selection process to be used to select those professionals must be set forth in the application). If the housing study is part of a comprehensive plan, please clearly identify the cost of the housing study component in the budget for the comprehensive plan.
7. The study and public planning process should also consider and address the following key elements of Place-Based Development:
-Uses and Activities
-Comfort and Image
-Access and Linkage
Each application will be reviewed and evaluated using the following general criteria:
-The area to be included in the study must be consistent with and contained within an area’s planning and zoning regulations.
-Demographics, housing stock quality, housing types, and community design characteristics must be elements considered in the study.
-Proposed studies must have the support, and preferably partial funding, from the local governing jurisdiction(s).
GrantWatch ID#: 176099
The maximum grant award is $60,000 per project. There is no minimum.
The study is expected to be completed within an 18-month period following acceptance by grantee of a NIFA letter agreement for a Housing Study Grant.
Eligible applicants include any housing or economic development entity, for-profit or nonprofit, without direct access to funds from property tax revenues.
Fiscal Year 2019 Application Deadlines:
Round 1: July 16, 2018
Round 2: November 16, 2018
Applicant will be required to provide a minimum of 50% of the total cost of the proposed study in cash matching funds for a housing study and a minimum of 70% of the total cost of the proposed study in cash matching funds for a housing study completed as part of a comprehensive plan.
To be considered for a Housing Study Grant, one copy of the Application (hard copy or email in .pdf file) must be submitted at the address and to the person indicated below no later than 5:00 PM on the due date.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit applications by mail to:
Nebraska Investment Finance Authority
200 Commerce Court
1230 O Street
Lincoln, NE 68508
Or email to: Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org
Elizabeth Fimbres, Outreach Program Manager