Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism
04/30/19 5:00 PM
Grants to Kansas nonprofit organizations, for-profit businesses, and government agencies to develop tourist attractions within the State. Funding may be used to create new or support the enhancement of existing attractions, events, or festivals.
Funding is intended to support projects that serve the mission of the grant program and the division: The Attraction Development Grant program is intended to assist the development of a critical mass of sustainable, market-driven travel experiences within the state that will influence destination travel decisions by identified travel customers, creating economic impact resulting from the creation of jobs, capital investment, revenue, and/or visitation in Kansas.
Eligible Projects and Activities:
- Strategic Plan
- Technology-interactive exhibits and website development or enhancement
- Out-of-State marketing or comprehensive regional marketing for a new attraction, event or festival, or for a new exhibit at an established attraction
- Purchase of land
- New construction
- Renovation of buildings
- Salaries of a paid grant project manager hired for the length of the grant project only. (A presently employed staff person’s salary or a board member’s time does not qualify for grant funds or as leveraged funds.)
GrantWatch ID#: 176183
- Not-for-profit organizations – 501 (c) (3)
- Government agencies – cities, counties, townships, federally recognized Indian Tribes
- For-profit business
Ineligible Projects and Activities:
- Personal computers
- Travel or trade shows
- Refinancing of debt
- General upkeep or improvements (Improvements should be supported through the organization’s operating budget)
- Normal operating expenses (staff salaries, rent, phone, supplies, postage, photocopying or other expenses associated with the ongoing normal administrative functions)
- To bring an attraction or building into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
- General promotional brochures
- Retail shops
- Lodging facilities (hunting lodges, B&B, campgrounds, RV parks)
- Memorials, statues or signs
- Travel Information Centers
- Community centers
- Projects not having sustainable, accountable ties to the tourism marketplace
- Grant administration fees
Applications are accepted each year beginning March 1st with a deadline of April 30th, 5:00 p.m.
The agency may accept applications at other times if funding is available.
Grant awards will be made by June 15 of each year.
An Attraction Development Grant reimburses up to 40% (not to exceed the amount awarded) of actual expenditures for a single grant project. Applicants must provide (as leveraged funding) at least 60% of the cost of the Project. Fifty percent of the leveraged funding may be in-kind contributions.
Event Impact Calculator:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Applications should be mailed to:
Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism
1020 S. Kansas Ave., Ste. 200
Topeka KS 66612.