Foundation / Corporation
Charlotte Street Foundation (CSF)
11/18/18 11:59 PM Mountain Time Zone (Denver, CO)
Awards of $10,000 to Kansas and Missouri individual artists and artist collectives in the five-county Greater Kansas City Metro area for outstanding contemporary work in the visual arts. Funding is intended to provide visual artists across the range of media with financial assistance, professional recognition, and public exposure.
The five-county Greater Kansas City Metro area is comprised of Clay, Jackson, Johnson, Platte, and Wyandotte Counties.
Charlotte Street Visual Artist Awards recognize and significantly support Kansas City-based visual artists of all media who are creating exceptional, contemporary work. These Awards aim to reward artistic accomplishment to date and to support the continued development of artists’ work and careers.
Awarded artists will be those who:
- Generate exceptional new work as visual artists
- Create work that is accomplished, imaginative, and contemporary
- Demonstrate sustained commitment to the development and deepening of their work and artistic practices
Through recognizing and supporting exceptional artists living and working in Kansas City, Charlotte Street seeks to empower and propel individual artists, enhance the artistic culture of our region, and increase Kansas City’s desirability as a place for artists to live and work.
Criteria for Selection:
- Strength of artistic work to date
- Promise for future artistic achievement
- Commitment to and demonstration of innovation and experimentation in terms of form, content, process, and/or presentation
- Potential impact of Award on continued artistic development
GrantWatch ID#: 176698
Each 2019 Charlotte Street Visual Artist Award Fellow receives:
- An unrestricted cash grant of $10,000
- Recognition by Charlotte Street at the time of the Award announcement and throughout the year 2019—including announcements to media, web-based marketing and promotion, special events, etc.
- Inclusion in the 2019 Charlotte Street Visual Artist Award exhibition at Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, accompanied by a printed brochure with images and commissioned writing about their work.
Event Dates: 9/26/18 - 9/26/19
- Applicants must currently live and have lived for at least one year prior to application deadline in the five-county Greater Kansas City Metro area (Clay, Jackson, Johnson, Platte, Wyandotte).
- Artists must be at least 21 years of age by application deadline.
- Applicants may not be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program. If the artist has earned an undergraduate degree, the completion date must be at least 12 months earlier than the application deadline.
(Note: Applicants do not need to have attended undergraduate or graduate school to be considered for this award.)
Collaborative Groups - The Visual Artist Awards are intended to recognize and support outstanding visual artists as individuals. Collectives/collaboratives are eligible to apply if:
- All members of the collaborative/collective meet the eligibility criteria described above.
- The group is well established and creating work in an ongoing, deeply collaborative, committed manner as a collective/collaborative.
- The primary work of each individual member of the group is as a member of the collaborative group, rather than as a an individual.
- Each member of the group is playing an essential role in the creation of the work.
- The collective/collaborative is not incorporated as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
Artists applying as a collaborative group should submit individual resumes as well as a group resume, and should detail the nature of their collaboration in the narrative portion of the application.
Additional eligibility requirements:
- Awarded artists will be expected to be residents of Kansas City (or one of the eligible five counties) for the Award year. (Artists will still be able to, and are encouraged, to participate in residencies, travel, etc., during the year)
- Awarded artists will be expected to keep Charlotte Street informed of all scheduled exhibitions and public engagements throughout the period of the Award year.
- Awarded artists will be expected to have work available for exhibition in the 2019 Visual Artist Award exhibition, and to work in a collaborative manner with the exhibition curator and other representatives in order to select and prepare work for the exhibition and associated publication.
- Awarded artists will be expected, as reasonably possible, to be available for associated Award events, receptions, public programs, etc.
Previous Charlotte Street Visual Artist Award recipients are not eligible to apply.
Deadline for applications is Sunday, November 18, 2018, at 11:59 PM Mountain Time Zone (Denver, CO). No late applications will be considered.
- 11:59pm, Sunday, November 18, 2018: Application deadline
- December 2018 through January 2019: Panel review of applications; selection of 10 semi-finalists for studio visits.
- Late January 2019: Semi-finalists will be notified of their selection.
- January 31 & February 1, 2019: In-person visits & final selection by panel will take place over the course of two days.
10 finalists will receive 30 minute in-person studio visits with the selection panel, providing opportunity for artists to share their work and respond to questions from the panel (if a space to show work is needed, Charlotte Street staff will work with the finalist to identify a space for the presentation).
- Following studio visits and final panel deliberations, the 2019 Visual Artist Fellows will be notified.
All applications must be completed online.
Artists requiring technical assistance may contact Charlotte Street Foundation. In-person assistance will be provided upon request.
For additional information about the Visual Artist Awards: https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=5862
For Call Listing information: https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals.php?apply=yes
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For the online application portal: https://artist.callforentry.org/login.php?login-msg=10
For technical assistance, contact:
Charlotte Street Foundation
Charlotte Street Foundation
2019 Visual Artist Awards
PO Box 10263
Kansas City MO 64171
3325 Wyoming Street
Kansas City, MO 64111
Greater Kansas City Metro Area
USA: Kansas: Wyandotte and Johnson Counties; Missouri: Clay, Jackson, and Platte Counties