Grants to Canada nonprofit organizations, businesses, educational institutions, municipalities, and Indigenous organizations and councils for community activities celebrating Canadian national holidays. Funding is intended to encourage appreciation of Canada's linguistic, ethnic, cultural, and geographic diversity, as well as to create opportunities for Canadians to participate in celebrations that create a sense of pride and belonging to Canada.
Celebrate Canada provides funding for activities organized on:
National Indigenous Peoples Day (June 21);
Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day (June 24);
Canadian Multiculturalism Day (June 27); and
Canada Day (July 1).
The expected results of Celebrate Canada’s support of community-based activities include:
Providing access to celebrations across Canada, to enable all Canadians to appreciate Canada’s cultural, ethnic, linguistic and geographic diversity
Creating opportunities for Canadians to participate in celebrations that create a sense of pride and belonging to Canada
To be eligible for funding from Celebrate Canada, your project must:
Beorganized during the Celebrate Canada period, which runs from June 21 to July 1 to celebrate and promote either one or more days among National Indigenous Peoples Day, Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day, Canadian Multiculturalism Day and Canada Day. Priority is given to events scheduled on the designated dates but in certain cases, funded activities may be undertaken up to five days prior to the Celebrate Canada period. Canada Day celebrations must be held on the designated day of July 1;
Be free of charge (no admission fees or donation required for entry); and
Be open to the general public and promoted as such.
Only project-related expenses are eligible. These may include:
To be eligible for funding, your organization must be a:
- A Canadian not-for-profit organization such as a corporation, trust, cooperative, unincorporated association, etc.
- A Canadian business corporation where projects are non-commercial in nature
- A Canadian educational institution, Canadian municipal government or other municipal, provincial/territorial institution
- An Indigenous Peoples institution or organization (Indigenous Peoples include Inuit, Métis, Status and Non Status people)
- A local band council, local tribal council or other local Indigenous government or organization (First Nations, Inuit or Métis)
Federal, provincial and territorial governments are ineligible to apply for funding support (with the exception of the Canada Place Corporation for Canada Day celebrations, as per the amendment to the Canada Marine Act).
The following activities are not eligible:
- Any events of a primarily religious, political, or commercial nature
- Activities whose primary purpose is fundraising or contests
- Conferences, symposiums, round-tables, workshops and other events not intended for the general public
- Activities that are (in whole or in part) an extension of regular or permanent programming
- Activities held on school grounds during school hours
- Events held on an individual’s private property
Ineligible expenses include but are not limited to:
- Costs related to BBQ, general food and beverages, and liquor permits
- Food for planning team and volunteers
- Facility rental costs when the organization owns the property or building
- Costs related to major infrastructure
- Equipment purchase
- Lobbying and advocacy activities
- Activities or services that take place outside Canada
- Prizes such as those associated with contests or competitions
Funding can not be provided for expenses incurred before April 1. If you incur expenses for your project before receiving written confirmation of your funding approval, you will be doing so at your own risk.
Applications will be accepted until end of day on November 21, 2023.
Celebrate Canada can fund up to 100% of eligible expenses or up to $50,000 per fiscal year in the case of grants or contributions. For projects that exceed $50,000 per fiscal year, Celebrate Canada can fund up to 100% of eligible expenses under a contribution only.
Department of Canadian Heritage
Celebration and Commemoration Program
15 Eddy Street
Gatineau QC J8X 4B3
Telephone 1-866-811-0055 (toll-free, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm (ET)).
TTY 1-888-997-3123 (for people who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, toll-free, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm (ET))