Foundation / Corporation
New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA), New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA)
01/24/18 11:59 PM EST
Fellowships of $7,000 to New York individual artists at any stage in their career to recognize and support outstanding work in the following media: painting, video and film, folk and traditional arts, fiction, and interdisciplinary work. This fellowship provides an unrestricted grant to individual artists living and working in New York State and the Indian Nations located within state borders.
NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships, awarded in fifteen different disciplines over a three-year period, are $7,000 cash awards made to individual originating artists living and working in the state of New York for unrestricted use. These fellowships are not project grants but are intended to fund an artist’s vision or voice, regardless of the level of his or her artistic development.
The Fellowship award accepts submissions in 15 different disciplines, with 5 disciplines reviewed each year on a rotating three-year cycle.
(Including the Joanne Y. Chen Fellowship for Taiwanese American artists applying in, Folk/Traditional Arts, Interdisciplinary Work, Painting and Video/Film)
Joanne Y. Chen Taiwanese American Artist Fellowship:
The Joanne Y. Chen Fellowship is awarded annually to a Taiwanese American artist residing in New York State and/or one of the Indian Nations located in New York State. The Joanne Chen Fellow is selected from the pool of eligible NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellows. The winner of this award will receive an unrestricted grant of US $7,000.
Joanne Y. Chen (1949-2015) was the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Jung-Chieh Kuo and wife of Taiwanese American Art Council President Dr. Lung Fong Chen. Born in Tainan, Taiwan, she was raised and educated in Japan, earning a Bachelor’s Degree in History from the Sophia University in Tokyo, and a Master’s Degree in Sociology from New York University. Joanne Y. Chen was a supporter of the local community, a paragon of moral integrity, and a role model for Taiwanese Americans.
NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships are awarded to eligible artists of all career levels regardless of their gender, ethnicity, sexuality, ability/disability, financial standing, or geographic location.
GrantWatch ID#: 177016
Fellowships provide a $7,000 cash award.
To be eligible for the award, applicants must meet the following requirements:
1. You must be 25 years old or older.
2. You must be a current resident of New York State and/or one of the Indian Nations located in New York State, and have been a resident for at least the last two consecutive years prior to the application deadline (2016 & 2017).
3. At the time of the application deadline you must not be enrolled in a degree-seeking program of any kind.
4. You must not have received a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship in any discipline in the past five years; 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, & 2017, and cannot submit any artwork samples that have been previously awarded a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship.
5. Fellowships are not awarded to interpretative artists such as dancers or actors; applicants must be the originators of the work, i.e. choreographers or playwrights.
6. Artists that have been awarded five NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships receive Emeritus Status and are no longer eligible to apply.
7. You must not be a NYFA employee, member of the NYFA Board of Trustees or Artists' Advisory Committee, an immediate family member of any of the above, or an immediate family member of a 2017-2018 panelist.
The submission deadline is Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 11:59 PM EST.
All applicants will be notified of final decisions in late Summer of 2018 through the email applied with.
USA: New York City; New York