Foundation / Corporation
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Grants of $25,000 to USA, Canada, and International as-yet unpublished individuals for projects that explore and research new aspects of film and the film industry. Priority will go to projects that address underrepresented topics within the field of film scholarship. Funding is intended for original English-language projects that address cultural, educational, historical, theoretical or scientific aspects of theatrical motion pictures.
The Grants program directly supports the overall mission of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to recognize and uphold excellence in the motion picture arts and sciences, inspire imagination, and connect the world through the medium of motion pictures. The program also supports the Academy’s commitment to diversity in the industry. Diversity encompasses artists as well as audiences; the cultural and geographic communities to which they belong; their age, gender, race, ethnicity, disabilities, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Proposed works may be books, multimedia presentations, curatorial projects, interactive DVDs, or Internet sites.
Through the Grants program, the Academy seeks to:
- Promote diversity
- Bridge the opportunity divide
- Attract and engage broad new audiences for theatrical motion pictures
- Provide a platform for underrepresented artists, the full range of film genres, and a variety of viewpoints and approaches
- Encourage filmmaking as a vocation
- Illuminate less visible aspects of filmmaking and the film industry through scholarly research, presentations, and discussions.
GrantWatch ID#: 177172
Two $25,000 grants are awarded each year.
- Applicants must be established scholars, writers, historians or researchers possessing either a significant record of achievement, or exceptional promise and demonstrated accomplishments in his or her field.
- Applicants must have written and published at least one book of scholarship prior to applying.
- Each applicant must propose a new work in the English language encompassing some aspect of theatrical motion picture art, science, commerce, history or theory. Those examining elements of the film industry that have been underrepresented in the canon of film scholarship will be given priority. Works solely exploring television, video or other media arts are not eligible.
Academy Film Scholars grants do not fund:
- Individuals who are actively pursuing degrees at a college or university
- Members, employees and associates of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (or its affiliated organizations), or their immediate families
- Film, television, or video productions.
Proposals must be submitted online by January 31, 2019. No extensions will be granted. All applicants will be notified (via e-mail) of their proposal status in April/May 2019.
Funding Info: http://www.oscars.org/education-grants/grants
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply Online: https://academy.smartsimple.com/
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Telephone: (310) 247-3000
Facsimile: (310) 859-9619
online contact form: https://www.oscars.org/form/send-message
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.