Foundation / Corporation
United States - Israel Binational Science Foundation (BSF)
11/28/18 5:00 PM Israel Time (10:00 AM EST) Receipt
Grants of $4,000 to USA and Israel PhD candidates to carry out short-term scientific research in the other country. Students are encouraged to apply for thesis-supporting research that requires facilities or expertise not available in their country. Applications will be evaluated on the basis of their merit in light of the overall aim of the program, and the qualifications of the applicants. Funding will be awarded through the grantee's institute.
As guiding principles, support will be awarded to applications that meet the following criteria:
- The applicant is a young American or Israeli researcher, and the visit is to the other country.
- The research is in an accredited higher education or scientific institution (including hospitals).
- The applicant's research is in any of the scientific fields supported by the BSF (the full list is on the BSF website), regardless of the split program.
- The purpose of the trip is limited to the use of facilities, or acquiring expertise not available in the applicant's home country.
- Application is for travel that has not yet taken place.
GrantWatch ID#: 177361
In 2018, the program will have two calls, and each will support 10 trips.
Grants are for $4,000 each.
Each trip will be for a maximum length of 2 months. Travel should be taken within one year of notification of award. Applications for trips that have already occurred will not be accepted.
- Applicants must be U.S. or Israeli citizens.
- The applicant, rather than his thesis advisor, must write the application.
- Applicants must be conducting supervised research towards a PhD in an accredited higher education institution, or in a non-profit research institution (government or other, including hospitals).
- Applicants must be 35 years old or younger.
- Students in their last year of PhD studies are not eligible to submit applications to the program.
- Israeli and American students doing research in the other country are not eligible to apply.
-Trips planned very early or very late in the research program are often not approved.
- A student who was previously awarded a grant in this program is not allowed to submit again.
In 2018 the program will have two calls. This is the 2nd call for 2018.
Deadline for application submission is Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 5:00 PM Israel time. Applications that do not follow the instructions on the BSF website will not be processed.
Submitting an application before the PhD research program/plan is formally approved by the university is not recommended.
Both Israeli and American students must submit through the university from which they will graduate. Students who are doing their research at a hospital or other research institution must also submit their applications through the university from which they will graduate.
As each institution may submit no more than 5 applications for their students, applicants should contact the university to determine the latest date applications should be submitted to them, so that the university can conduct its own internal selection before submitting to the BSF.
Announcements of final award decisions will be made on the BSF website by mid-January 2019.
Eligible Areas of Research (Please note, the 'split program' does not apply to Travel Grants):
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Applications must be submitted by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with all of the required material as an attachment in Word or PDF format.
United States-Israel Binational Science Foundation
8 Hamarpeh St.
Har Hotzvim, Jerusalem 91450
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming