Foundation / Corporation
Greater Saint John Community Foundation
Grants ranging from $2,500 to $20,000 to New Brunswick nonprofits for programs that serve residents of the greater Saint John area. All applicants must contact the Executive Director at least one week prior to the deadline to discuss eligibility and be invited to apply. Funding is intended for programs in the areas of health, education, arts and culture, environment, youth, recreation and sport, heritage, poverty reduction, and social development.
Funds may be used to support projects, one-time purchases of equipment or supplies, and to support programming costs for the duration of the project. Grants are available for capital equipment and small-scale capital projects that have a defined time frame within the granting period.
Applications are encouraged which reflect an identified need in the community, impact a significant number of people and/or priority populations, build effective community partnerships, improve the quality of life in Greater Saint John and plan for sustainability of the initiative/project beyond initial funding.
GrantWatch ID#: 177559
$2,500 to $20,000
Grants are not awarded to support multi-year funding beyond the annual granting period.
All qualified donees are eligible. These include local charities as well as charities located outside of Greater Saint John. These could include provincial charities as well as national charities. To be eligible to receive a grant from The Community Foundation, the project/initiative must take place in Greater Saint John and impact local residents.
Not funded: large-scale capital projects (new building construction and significant structural renovations), ongoing operational requirements for a charity, such as rent and salaries and multi-year funding.
Grants will not be awarded to:
- Ongoing operational expenses such as a charity’s rent and salaries
- Support large-scale, long-term capital construction projects (new building construction and significant structural renovations)
- Support any ongoing fundraising activities, including annual fund drives and capital campaigns
- Cover deficits or retire debts
- Provide endowment funds
- Support sectarian, religious, or political purposes
- Provide retroactive funding for project expenses incurred prior to approval of the proposal by the Community Foundation's Board of Directors
- Fund league or club-based sports programs.
- Fund projects for which the applicant has sufficient resources
- Organizations that are not qualified donees
- Fund projects that impact residents outside of Greater Saint John
Organizations are asked to discuss their project proposal with the Executive Director of The Community Foundation in advance of submission to ensure the project is properly aligned with goals of the Community Foundation’s granting program.
Application deadline: January 26, 2018
Deliberation: Winter 2018
Applicant notification: End of May 2018
Grants Awarded: June 2018
Applicants may apply for more than one grant at a time during the grant cycle as long as each application is for a different project.
Qualified Donees: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/chrts/glssry-eng.html#qualdonee
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Please contact the Executive Director with any questions regarding eligibility.
Kelly Evans, Executive Director
89 Canterbury St., Suite 502
Saint John, NB
PO Box 20061
Saint John, NB
Greater Saint John
Canada: New Brunswick