Foundation / Corporation
Children's Theatre Foundation of America (CTFA) - Aurand Harris Grants and Fellowship Fund
Grants and fellowships of up to $2,000 to USA nonprofit theater companies and individual artists for theater programs for children and youth and K-12 education programs that integrate drama and theater. Funding may be used for equipment, travel expenses, and new initiatives and original plays. Eligible applications may come from nonprofit theater companies, individual professional theater artists, or a collaboration of a theater artist and a small or mid-sized theater company.
Grants may be used for:
- People: playwrights, directors, designers, education directors, etc. engaged in a new initiative for a particular company or a new original play for children and youth
- Equipment: light boards, curtains, lights, vehicles, whatever will bring your company to a new level of quality
- Travel: bringing collaborative teams together, participating in a conference or workshop, taking interesting people to interesting places for interesting purposes.
Applications will be evaluated on their impact in their environment and in their specific communities to promote theatre and bring the live theatre experience to children throughout the country. Applications will also be evaluated in light of CTFA’s Mission and Values:
- CTFA’s Mission: The Children’s Theatre Foundation challenges and supports theater artists to achieve excellence in service to young people.
- CTFA's Values: Children and Youth, The Art of Theatre, Excellence, Innovation, Equity, Diversity. and Inclusion.
CTFA is currently committed to dismantling institutional and structural racism in the field of Theatre for Young Audiences and will give preference to applicants who demonstrate their work toward this goal -- either generally, or through the proposed project.
GrantWatch ID#: 177612
Grants and fellowships are limited to awards of up to $2,000.
- Not-for-profit theaters in the USA, established for at least 3 year consecutive years, possessing a public record of artistic quality and with an annual operating budget of under a million dollars (Large theatres should consult CTFA’s Founders Grant Guidelines.); or
- An individual professional theater artist in the USA, working in theater for young audiences, in the development of his/her artistic excellence. An artist does not have to be connected to a theater to apply. This can include playwrights, scenic designers, costume designers, lighting designers, directors and/or teachers; or
- A collaboration of a theatre artist and a small or mid-sized not-for-profit theatre in the USA.
- General operating support such as support for the regular and ordinary projects that are part of the on-going work of the applicant, representing “business as usual”
- Projects that are already underway
- Free performances or ticket subsidies
- Activities undertaken for academic credit
- Large theatres with budgets above one million dollars.
Priority consideration will be given to applicants not funded by a CTFA grant during the previous two years.
To be eligible for consideration, this application must include all of the information requested in the application form and must be received by March 4, 2019, midnight, Pacific Coast standard Time Zone, via e-mail attachment in WORD or PDF format.
Projects proposed by theatres must have a one-to-one cash match. In-kind salaries and services may be counted if they are earmarked for this specific project. Projects proposed by individual professional theater artists do not need to show a cash match.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Send applications to Mina G. Halliday Casmir at:
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming