Foundation / Corporation
02/28/19 5:00 PM
Grants ranging from $100 to $99,999 to Iowa nonprofits, agencies, school districts, and religious organizations for projects that provide opportunities and improve the quality of life for state residents. Funding is intended for projects in the areas of economic development, arts and culture, education, and health and human services.
Prairie Meadows awards Community Betterment Grants in the following four categories:
Arts and Culture
- Projects that enhance the quality of life and opportunities for Central Iowans
- Projects that provide unique opportunities and educational experiences
- Projects that provide access to the arts for new and/or underserved audiences
- Projects that provide a significant impact on a community and its residents
- Projects that emphasize environmental, beautification, or restoration efforts
- Parks and trails programs and enhancements
- Projects that provide core curriculum enhancements or necessities for students
- Projects that reach a broad range of students or a specific demographic in need
- Technology and other enhancements to the classrooms and building
- Advanced educational opportunities, learning beyond the classroom
Health and Human Services
- Patient education or direct services
- Fire, Police, or Emergency Management Services
- Projects that provide services for low-income, at-risk, or underserved clients
Prairie Meadows looks favorably upon organizations, or projects, that:
- Administer effective projects
- Provide measureable and meaningful results
- Demonstrate financial stability and accountability
- Have multiple funding sources, most of which are already identified and secured
- Will allow the organization to introduce new services or expand existing services to central Iowans
GrantWatch ID#: 177738
Community Betterment Grant requests can be in the range of $100 – $99,999.
Funds requested must be for projects that will take place between July 1, 2019, and July 2, 2020, unless it is an ongoing project. Funding will be provided to recipients in July and must be utilized by July 2, 2020.
Applicants must be non-profit, tax-exempt organizations located in the state of Iowa and meet one of the following:
- Have received a formal tax-exempt status from the Internal Revenue Service. (Organizations awaiting IRS tax exempt status are not eligible to apply for funding from Prairie Meadows.), or
- Are units of political subdivisions, are public school districts, or church/religious organizations, or
- Are non-profit organizations organized exclusively for the promotion of social welfare as determined by Prairie Meadows at its sole discretion (must be predetermined by the Prairie Meadows Grants Manager).
Applicants requesting funding for more than one project must complete and submit a separate grant application for each project. Applicants may not submit grant applications to both the Prairie Meadows Legacy Grant and Community Betterment Grant programs for the same project.
Applications for funding must be for projects or programs located within the state of Iowa.
Prairie Meadows will not accept Community Betterment Grant Applications:
- For conference, seminar, or convention attendance or expenses for employees, volunteers, board members, or anyone related to your organization
- For debt-reduction or retirement campaigns
- For educational scholarships
- For expenses related to fundraising/campaign consultants or contracted services
- For expenses related to grant writers or grant application preparers
- For feasibility studies, operating, or strategic plans
- For fellowships
- For general, ongoing operational expenses including rent, mortgage payments,
utilities, monthly fees, or phone and internet usage fees
- For items or services purchased before July 1, 2019
- For memorials for an individual
- For personnel expenses including salaries, bonuses, and/or employee benefits (funding for contract workers/artists/performers is permitted)
- For political parties, campaigns, candidates, or partisan organizations
- For projects that have been completed or will be completed before July 1, 2019
- For promotional pieces that are not related to the project
- For repayments of loans
- For school parties at any grade level, including, but not limited to, graduation ceremonies and post-prom parties
- From any organization that has an overdue Prairie Meadows requirement
- From individuals, for any purpose
- From organizations, projects, or programs outside Iowa
- From organizations that would redistribute the Prairie Meadows Community Betterment Grant funds to other groups (with the exception of a fiscal agent).
The deadline for Prairie Meadows Community Betterment Grant Application submission is Thursday, February 28, 2019, at 5:00 p.m. All applications must be submitted via the Prairie Meadows Online Application and Reporting System. All Community Betterment applicants will receive notice of the committee and board’s decision by July 1, 2019.
Any school district that will be submitting more than one Community Betterment Grant Application must submit a signed and completed school board resolution. The resolution must include a ranking of the Community Betterment Grant Applications in order of the board’s funding priorities for the entire district. All organizations within a school district that are submitting a Community Betterment Grant Application must be included on the school board resolution. These organizations may include, but are not limited to: Booster Clubs, PTO/PTA, Schools, Classes, Alumni Associations, Sports Teams, Clubs, or Foundations.
The signed and completed school board resolution must be submitted with the Grant Application or a copy can be sent via email by Thursday, February 28, 2019.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply Online: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_1343/?SA=SNA&FID=35037
Email copies of school board resolutions and/or questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kurt Rasmussen, Chair, Executive Committee
1 Prairie Meadows Dr
Altoona, IA 50009