Foundation / Corporation
Children's Literacy Foundation (CLiF)
In-kind grants of $25,000 worth of literacy programs, as well as donations of new children’s books to New Hampshire and Vermont elementary schools. These donations and services are provided over one school year and are intended to help build a culture of literacy in elementary schools across the Twin States.
This program targets schools that have a high percentage of students scoring below proficient in literacy assessments, and a high percentage of students receiving free/reduced lunch.
The goals of this program are to:
- Supplement elementary schools’ existing efforts to create a pro-literacy culture in the school community;
- Encourage enthusiasm for books among students from preschool to grade six;
- Inspire students to read and write for pleasure;
- Support teachers’ literacy curricula and creative integration of literacy into all areas of study;
- Ensure all children have a collection of high-quality books of their own at home; and
- Get parents more involved in their children’s literacy activities and encourage more reading at home.
Selection Criteria include:
- Demonstrated need, comprised of but not limited to percentage of students qualifying for free/reduced lunch and assessment reading and writing scores and written testimony
- Enthusiasm, creativity, and collaboration exhibited by the school staff
- Clear understanding of how this grant will benefit students and their families
- School commitment to fulfilling the award requirements described above
GrantWatch ID#: 177750
Each sponsored school receives:
- $25,000 worth of literacy programming and books;
- A wide variety of literacy-related programs that will take place during the school year, and several other forms of support;
- Up to ten new, high-quality children’s books for each student to select and keep (maximum 2,000 books per school) from hundreds of inspiring titles; and
- CLiF support in arranging logistics, integrating low-cost literacy programs into the school year, networking with past and present school coordinators, and accessing additional CLiF resources.
Programming and support is spread over one school year.
Who Is Eligible to Apply?
Public elementary schools located in New Hampshire or Vermont with:
- At least 30% of students qualifying for free/reduced lunch
- At least 25% of students scoring below proficient on reading and writing assessments
- A specific literacy-related schoolwide goal for the year
- An enthusiastic and organized individual to serve as a local coordinator and collaborate with CLiF on planning, organizing, and scheduling Year of the Book events (small stipend provided)
- CLiF will partner with schools of all sizes, but CLiF programming has the greatest positive impact when it serves no more than 250 students. CLiF will ask schools with over 250 students which grades they will choose to serve. The children served by the grant should represent more than 50% of the K-6 student body.
- A school that has received the Year of the Book grant must wait a minimum of 5 years before applying for the Year of the Book grant again.
The deadline to apply for the 2018-2019 school year is January 31, 2018.
Grant recipients will be announced by March 12, 2018.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Click here to access the online application: https://clif.submittable.com/submit/99332/clif-year-of-the-book-2018-2019-application
The Children’s Literacy Foundation (CLiF)
1536 Loomis Hill Road
Waterbury Center, VT 05677
USA: New Hampshire; Vermont