Foundation / Corporation
The FruitGuys Community Fund
02/25/19 11:59 PM PST
Grants ranging from $2,000 to $5,000 to USA small farms in multiple states for projects that strengthen their ability to operate in more economically and/or environmentally sustainable ways, and increase community involvement. A letter of intent is required prior to submitting a full application. Funding may be used for farms located within 200 miles of San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles, CA, Seattle, WA, Denver, CO, Salt Lake City, UT, Phoenix, AZ, St. Louis, MO, Philadelphia, PA, Chicago, IL, Boston, MA, Austin, TX, Dallas, TX, Atlanta, GA, Tampa, FL, or Orlando, FL.
Please Note: The above list of regions is a preference, but not a requirement. The FruitGuys Community Fund still encourages farms outside of these locations to apply.
Priority will be given to sustainability projects that are focused on one or more of the areas mentioned in the attached Sustainable Farming Manifesto, including (but not limited to):
- Water Conservation (for example, drip irrigation and water catchment)
- Natural Pest Control (for example, owl or bat boxes)
- Pollination (for example, beehives and pollinator hedgerows)
- Soil Health (for example, cover crops and hoop houses)
- Energy Efficiency (for example, renewable energy options like solar, geothermal, and wind)
Projects to be considered should help small-scale farms operate more sustainably, both environmentally and economically, as well as strengthen community outreach. Some examples of sustainability projects may include (but are not limited to): planting of cover crops to help with water management and soil fertility; planting pollinator-attracting perennials and/or installing beehives; installation of bat boxes or owl boxes to attract predators and keep rodent numbers down; installation of high tunnels or hoop houses to extend the growing season.
Farms that participate in some efforts to increase low-income consumers' access to food will also receive priority.
Up to 10% of the total grant amount awarded may be used to support efforts for community outreach, education, and/or advocacy.
GrantWatch ID#: 177756
Up to twenty (20) finalists will be invited to submit full applications. Up to fifteen (15) of the 20 finalists will receive funding.
Grants in amounts ranging from $2,000-$5,000 will be awarded in April 2019.
1. Applicant is an owner/operator of the farm or has long-term, legal access to the land. If farming on leased land, a letter of support from the landowner specifying length of the lease agreement must be provided with the grant application.
2. Farm is small to medium-sized as determined by acreage in agricultural production. The Fund considers farms with more than 300 acres in agricultural production large, and therefore ineligible to apply.
3. Community outreach. Farmer will engage in community outreach, education, or policy advocacy surrounding sustainable agriculture. Engagement must be described in the grant proposal.
Funding will not be provided for:
- Land purchases
- Costs associated with labor
- Projects that require a percentage of the award be used for consultants or administration
- The applicant farm must be an established working farm that is looking to improve operations
- Requests that are dependent upon receiving funding from a larger grant
Past grantees will not be funded again. Applicants already awarded a FruitGuys Community Grant, will not be considered.
- Request for Letters of Intent (LOI) available on website: Friday, December 7, 2018
- LOIs due: Friday, January 11, 2019 11:59 p.m. PST
- Finalists will be notified by Monday, February 4, 2019 to provide a supplementary application.
- Supplementary Application is due: Monday, February 25, 2019 11:59 p.m. PST
- 2019 Grantees will be notified on or before Friday, April 5, 2019
Grant funds will be awarded in two installments: The first, equaling 75% of the grant awarded, will be sent to the applicant in April 2019. The remaining 25% of funds will be dispersed following submission of a final progress report, due by December 9, 2019, and successful completion of the project.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
USA: Arizona: Phoenix; California: San Francisco and Los Angeles; Colorado: Denver; Florida: Orlando and Tampa; Georgia: Atlanta; Illinois: Chicago; Maryland: Baltimore; Massachusetts: Boston; Missouri: St. Louis; Pennsylvania: Philadelphia; Texas: Dallas and Austin; Utah: Salt Lake City; Washington: Seattle