Foundation / Corporation
Nonprofit Leadership Alliance
Internship stipends of $2,000 to USA post-secondary students completing a credential to work as a nonprofit professional. Students must be enrolled at an eligible college or university program and participating in an internship program at an eligible nonprofit institution. Only junior, senior, post-baccalaureate or graduate students may apply.
The Nonprofit Leadership Alliance Career Development Award program is designed to eliminate the barrier of an unpaid internship for students completing their Certified Nonprofit Professional (CNP) credential. The program also fosters partnerships with internship sites, building stronger relationships with our national and local partners. Another important goal of the Alliance Career Development Award program is to promote diversity of CNPs in the workforce.
Applicants must complete an internship in fall 2018 or during the calendar year 2019 that meets the requirements of both the Certified Nonprofit Professional credential and those of their individual campus program. Added points are assigned to applicants with documented financial need, which is determined by a student’s FAFSA Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) number.
Current Campus Partners:
- AmeriCorps *NCCC Atlantic, Central, Pacific, Southern, Southwest
- Arizona: Arizona State University
- Arkansas: The University of Arkansas at Little Rock
- California: Antioch University, University of San Diego
- Colorado : University of Colorado Denver
- District of Columbia: University of the District of Columbia
- Florida: University of Central Florida
- Georgia: Georgia College, Georgia State University, Kennesaw State University
- Illinois: Aurora University, North Park University
- Indiana: Indiana State University, Indiana University at Bloomington
- Iowa: University of Northern Iowa
- Louisiana: Louisiana State University of Shreveport
- Maryland: Coppin State University, Salisbury University
- Michigan: Central Michigan University, Eastern Michigan University, Western Michigan University
- Missouri: Missouri Valley College, Rockhurst University
- North Carolina: Western Carolina University
- North Dakota: University of North Dakota
- Ohio: Wright State University
- South Carolina: University of South Carolina Upstate
- South Dakota: South Dakota State University
- Tennessee: Maryville College, University of Memphis
- Texas: University of Houston, University of North Texas – Dallas
- Utah: Brigham Young University
- Wisconsin: Madison College
GrantWatch ID#: 177774
A stipend of $2,000 is provided by the Alliance.
Applicants must complete an internship in fall 2018 or during the calendar year 2019. Internships must be completed by December 31st, 2019.
In order to be eligible for the Alliance Career Development Award, you must:
- Be enrolled in an affiliated Nonprofit Leadership Alliance campus program.
- Have an active online CNP Profile including: Student enrollment fee paid; Profile approval from your campus director (status as Actively Seeking Certification).
- Be a junior, senior, post-baccalaureate, or graduate student.
- Have completed or scheduled to complete nonprofit specific coursework, including introductory nonprofit sector coursework prior to beginning the internship.
- Plan to complete an internship in fall 2018 or during calendar year 2019 that meets the requirements of both the Certified Nonprofit Professional credential and those of your individual campus program.
*Note: Beginning with the 2020 Career Development Award cycle, only students completing their internship in calendar year 2020 will be eligible for the Career Development Award.
**Please see Internship Site Eligibility below for information regarding acceptable internship locations.
- Be committed to finishing all CNP credential requirements and earning your CNP immediately upon graduation with your Bachelor’s degree or completion of
graduate level requirements including:
- Completion of CNP competency requirements through coursework as set by your university or college.
- Completion of a 300 hour internship at one organization.
- Attendance at AMI (Alliance Management Institute), or Virtual AMI
- Completion of Leadership/Service activities
- Completion of Bachelor’s degree
- Participate in a program evaluation and longitudinal study.
Internship Site Eligibility Requirements
Internship sites that are utilized for the Alliance Career Development Award must:
- Be classified as a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization
- Not be a part of the student’s college or university*
*Organizations that are affiliated with the campus may be acceptable, as long as they do not share the same tax ID as the campus itself.
To officially enter the application process for the 2019 Career Development Award, one must submit the 2019 Career Development Award Student Application and have your respective campus director submit the Campus Director Student Evaluation Form by October 8th, 2018. Applicants are responsible to make sure their Campus Director completes the evaluation form by the due date.
- Application opens Monday, July 30, 2018
- Application closes Monday, October 8, 2018
- Award notices Friday, November 9, 2018
Campus Partner: https://www.nonprofitleadershipalliance.org/join/campus-partner
Check out internships that are eligible for the Career Development Award: https://www.nonprofitleadershipalliance.org/career-resources/
Added points are assigned to candidates who acquire internships with the Alliance’s Nonprofit Workforce Partners: https://www.nonprofitleadershipalliance.org/about/nonprofit-partners/
Please reach out to Katie Rossman to be connected to one of the National Nonprofit Workforce Partners.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply now: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5WZBMPZ
Campus director student evaluation form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5WJ5H28
For questions, please contact:
Andrew Juarez, CNP, Academic Services Coordinator
To be connected to a National Nonprofit Workforce Partner, contact:
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming