Canada Council for the Arts
Grants of up to $25,000 per year to Canada individual artists or artistic groups and organizations for support in the initial planning stages of creative art projects. Applicants are encouraged to speak with the funding source prior to submitting a first-time application.
Funding may be used for research, development, creation and production of work, as well as professional development for artists. Eligible costs include any direct costs related to the activity, including subsistence. Individuals who are deaf or who have disabilities, including those living with mental illness, and require accommodation at any stage of the application process may be eligible for additional assistance.
Explore and Create funds Canadian artists, artistic groups, and organizations committed to the creation and dissemination of innovative, vibrant and diverse art. This program advances Canadian artistic practices by encouraging artists to investigate creative processes and take risks that lead to the development of unique works destined to connect with the public.
The Canada Council for the Arts expects this program to achieve the following outcomes:
- Artists develop their skills and enrich their knowledge
- Artists have the resources and opportunities to explore, take artistic risks, and advance their practice
- Artists create works in a variety of genres and forms
- Artists share work in a manner consistent with their artistic vision and intentions
- New artistic voices emerge.
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- Artists and curators
- Artistic groups and collectives
- Artistic organizations.
Criteria for judging applications
- The artistic quality of your work
- The artistic rationale for your project
- The potential artistic outcomes
Impact - The potential of the project to:
- Contribute to your or your group’s artistic development
- Advance artistic practice
- Your capacity and experience to undertake the project
- A reasonable budget, including the ability to provide adequate working conditions
GrantWatch ID#: 177873
Up to $25,000 per year (to a maximum of $50,000 over 2 years).
Projects are for one or two years.
Canadian artists, artistic groups and arts organizations may apply. For a detailed description of eligible artists, see the Applicant Profiles document in Supporting Documents below.
In addition to the criteria set out in the applicant profiles, the following activities are not eligible for grants from the Canada Council:
- Activities proposed by someone under 18 years old
- Activities that are illegal according to the Criminal Code of Canada
- Artistic activities that led by non-professionals
- Activities that are carried out to satisfy the course requirements of an educational institution (for non-course activities related to graduate studies, please contact a program officer).
- Activities that directly support the delivery of an educational program or course
- Activities that are funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Self-publishing or vanity publishing of literary works
- Activities carried out by organizations that have not paid, or do not pay, fees or royalties to artists according the standards of the arts practice or sector
- Fundraising activities
- Capital expenditures, unless explicitly eligible
- Contests and competitions (including prizes and awards)
- Contributions to endowment funds.
Applicants are encouraged to speak with a Canada Council Program Officer before submitting an application to this component for the first time.
Register on the portal at least 30 days before you want to apply.
For the guide to getting a grant: http://canadacouncil.ca/funding/grants/guide
For the guide to application assistance for disabled applicants: http://canadacouncil.ca/commitments/equity/application-assistance
For additional eligibility information: https://apply.canadacouncil.ca/Default2.aspx
You can apply to this component once per year (1 March – 28/29 February).
You can’t apply for:
- Activities that occur before your project start date,
- Those that receive funding from another Canada Council program, or
- Those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Deadline - any time before the start date of your project.
Applications received by April 6, 2018 will receive results by July 2018.
Applications received by September 12, 2018 will receive results by February 2019.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Phone: 1-800 263-5588 or 613-566-4414, ext. 5502
150 Elgin St
P.O. Box 1047
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5V8
Phone: 1-800 263-5588 or 613-566-4414, 0
Program Inquiries: 5060
Media Inquiries: 5145
TTY machine: 1-866-585-5559 toll free
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon