Canada Council for the Arts
Grants of up to $5,000 and grants of up to $30,000 to Canada creative writing magazine and literary book publishers for projects that promote works by Canadian authors. Applicants must register online at least 30 days prior to the deadline. First-time applicants are encouraged to speak with a program officer before submitting an application. Funding is intended to support the promotion and development of writers through publications.
- Direct costs for publishing up to 6 books
- Direct costs for publishing up to 1 year of magazine issues
Magazines and publishers should have a commitment to reflecting – through their editorial choices – a diversity of writers, particularly with regards to the inclusion of Aboriginal Peoples, culturally diverse groups, people who are Deaf or have disabilities, and official language minority communities.
GrantWatch ID#: 177880
- Publication of Books: Up to $30,000
- Publication of Magazines: Up to $5,000
Types of potential applicants to this component include literary book and creative writing magazine publishers.
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
Your application will not be eligible if your organization owes royalty payments to writers, illustrators, translators and/or other copyright licensors as of the application deadline.
Organizations presently receiving core (operating) grants cannot apply to this component.
You can’t apply for activities that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
The following activities are not eligible for grants from the Canada Council:
- Activities proposed by someone under 18 years old
- Activities that are illegal according to the Criminal Code of Canada
- Artistic activities that are led by non-professionals
- Activities that are carried out to satisfy the course requirements of an educational institution
- Activities that directly support the delivery of an educational program or course
- Activities that are funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) (unless applying to a component of Creating, Knowing and Sharing: The Arts and Cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples)
- Self-publishing or author-subsidized publishing of literary works (unless applying to a component of Creating, Knowing and Sharing: The Arts and Cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples)
- Activities carried out by organizations that have not paid, or do not pay, fees or royalties to artists according the standards of the arts practice or sector
- Fundraising activities
- Capital expenditures, unless explicitly eligible
- Contests and competitions (including prizes and awards)
- Contributions to endowment funds
- March 15, 2018 for notification by June 2018
- September 5, 2018 for notification by January 2019
- March 10, 2019 for notification by July 2019
If you have not already done so, you must register in the portal at least 30 days before you want to apply.
You are encouraged to speak with a Canada Council Program Officer before submitting an application to this component for the first time.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online through the grants portal: http://apply.canadacouncil.ca
Supporting Artistic Practice Program Officer
Toll free: 1-800-263-5588, ext. 4037
Canada Council for the Arts
150 Elgin St
P.O. Box 1047
Ottawa, ON Canada
Tel.: 613 566-4414
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon