Canada Council for the Arts
Grants of up to $30,000 to Canada artists, curators, arts professionals, and arts organizations to support travel costs for presentations, collaborative works, exhibitions, networking, and expanding market opportunities for artists. Applicants must register at least 30 days before submitting an application.
Funding may be requested to participate in significant events, build a national presence, and for festivals and presenters to conduct research for Canadian artistic programming.
Travel must be within Canada, at least 300 kilometers from your place of departure, and by invitation. You can apply for single or several destinations within one trip to:
-Develop markets and networks (including participation in official showcases);
-Present artistic work;
-Participate in significant events;
-Explore future artistic collaborations;
-Build on an existing tour (for a single representative of a group or organization);
-Prospection for exhibition tours (directors and curators only).
Funding is also available to research artistic content for programming in Canadian festivals, exhibitions or presentations. Such activities do not require an invitation.
-Transportation costs are generally based on fixed amounts
-Accommodation and per diem, up to five days
-Additional shipping or baggage costs directly related to your activity, up to $2,500
You can apply once for any combination of activities (see ACTIVITIES – what you can apply for), and make up to 2 additional applications to:
- Showcase at trade fairs or similar key events in the performing arts
- Research artistic content for exhibitions, festivals or a series of presentations
Individuals who are Deaf or who have disabilities, including those living with mental illness, and require accommodation at any stage of the application process may be eligible for additional assistance. See details at http://canadacouncil.ca/commitments/equity/application-assistance
GrantWatch ID#: 177881
Travel costs are generally based on fixed amounts, up to $30,000.
Application limits – each year (1 March – 28/29 February), you can receive a maximum of $30,000.
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
-Artists and curators
-Cultural connectors and sector builders (Equity arts sector)
-Artistic groups and collectives
-Festivals, presenters and touring networks
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
Organizations presently receiving core(operating) grants can apply to this component.
You may not apply for activities that occur before your departure start date, those that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
In addition to the criteria set out in the applicant profiles, the following activities are not eligible for grants from the Canada Council:
- Activities proposed by someone under 18 years old
- Activities that are illegal according to the Criminal Code of Canada
- Artistic activities that are led by non-professionals
- Activities that are carried out to satisfy the course requirements of an educational institution
- Activities that directly support the delivery of an educational program or course
- Activities that are funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) (unless applying to a component of Creating, Knowing and Sharing: The Arts and Cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples)
- Self-publishing or author-subsidized publishing of literary works (unless applying to a component of Creating, Knowing and Sharing: The Arts and Cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples)
- Activities carried out by organizations that have not paid, or do not pay, fees or royalties to artists according the standards of the arts practice or sector
- Fundraising activities
- Capital expenditures, unless explicitly eligible
- Contests and competitions (including prizes and awards)
- Contributions to endowment funds
You may submit an application any time before your departure date. You must have a validated applicant profile to apply.
You are encouraged to speak with a Canada Council Program Officer before submitting an application to this component for the first time.
If you have not already done so, you must register in the portal at least 30 days before you want to apply.
Notification of results – applications received by:
- 2 May 2018 will receive results in August 2018
- 27 June 2018 will receive results in October 2018
- 29 August 2018 will receive results in December 2018
- 31 October 2018 will receive results in February 2019
- 19 December 2018 will receive results in April 2019
- 27 February 2019 will receive results in June 2019
Deadlines and FAQ: http://canadacouncil.ca/funding/grants/deadlines-and-faq
Grants guide: http://canadacouncil.ca/funding/grants/guide
Path of an application: https://apply.canadacouncil.ca/Default2.aspx
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online through the grants portal: https://apply.canadacouncil.ca/Default2.aspx
1-800-263-5588, ext. 4039
Canada Council for the Arts
150 Elgin St
P.O. Box 1047
Ottawa, ON Canada
1-800 263-5588 / 613 566-4414
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon