U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of Justice Programs (OJP) Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA)
06/05/19 11:59 PM ET
Grants to USA state, local, tribal, and regional law enforcement agencies and criminal justice agencies to implement or improve the use of body-worn camera devices for police officers. Applicants are advised that required registrations may take several days to complete. Funding is intended to promote the safety of law enforcement officers and citizens by strengthening the means for evidence capture and by contributing to improved justice outcomes. BWC use can have a moderating effect on citizens’ behavior; has been shown to reduce use-offorce incidents and citizen complaints; and can help strengthen mutual respect and civility in citizenpolice interactions.
As part of their submission, applicants must describe a deliberate and phased plan to deploy this technology, as well as specific ways it will be used to enhance the applicant agency’s mission. Applicants that are seeking only to fund the purchase of BWCs without consideration of the broader program goals discussed below will not be considered for funding.
Regardless of the program type and size, proposed BWC programs are expected to include the following elements:
1. Development of a planned and phased approach that achieves broad support of criminal justice stakeholders and leverages partnership input to address policy, training, deployment, and procurement of BWCs;
2. Implementation of operational procedures and tracking mechanisms that address the use, review, access, storage, retention, redaction, and deletion of digital media evidence (DME);
3. Demonstration of commitment to incorporating the evidentiary value of BWCs (DME) into daily administrative and field operations in a manner that promotes improvements in criminal justice outcomes, including improvements in officer and citizen safety;
4. Establishing training protocols for officers, supervisors, and administrators on BWC use and policy;
5. Addressing access to and sharing of BWC footage by agency personnel, prosecutors, other criminal justice stakeholder, and the community;
6. Implementation of appropriate BWC policies that address relevant state law, privacy rights, data retention, and public release of video footage.
Funding Categories (for Categories 1-3, Agencies may invite subrecipient agencies to be included in their proposals):
- Category 1: Implementation or Expansions of BWC Programs for Small and Mid-Sized Agencies (Competition ID: BJA-2019-15304): This funding category seeks to establish new or expand existing BWC programs in police agencies with 250 or fewer sworn officers.
- Category 2: Implementation or Expansion of BWC Programs for Large Agencies (Competition ID: BJA BJA-2019-15305): This funding category seeks to establish new or expand existing BWC programs in large police agencies with more than 250 and up to 1,000 sworn officers.
- Category 3: Implementation or Expansion of BWC Programs for Extra-Large Agencies (Competition ID: BJA-2019-15306) - This funding category seeks to establish new or expand existing BWC programs in extra-large police agencies with more than 1,000 sworn officers.
- Category 4: Implementation or Expansion of BWC Programs Through State or Regional Consortia (Competition ID: BJA-2019-15307) - This funding category seeks to leverage economies of scale by enabling a single organization to apply on behalf of component agencies in order to leverage partnerships, collaboration, and joint-acquisition strategies to establish new or expand existing BWC programs.
For the program overview, see the RFP: https://www.bja.gov/funding/BWC19.pdf#page=5
GrantWatch ID#: 178038
Expected Number of Awards: 28
-Category 1: Applicants may request no more than $500,000 under this category (total of $5,000,000 available).
-Category 2: Applicants may request no more than $2,000,000 under this category (total of $3,000,000 available).
-Category 3: Applicants may request no more than $3,000,000 under this category (total of $4,000,000 available).
-Category 4: Applicants may request no more than $3,000,000 under this category (total of $6,000,000 available).
All awards will be for a 36-month period of performance, to begin on October 1, 2019.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For technical assistance with submitting an application, contact the Grants.gov Customer Support Hotline at 800–518–4726, 606–545–5035, at https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/support.html, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For assistance with any other requirement of this solicitation, contact the National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS) Response Center:
TTY: 301-240-6310 (hearing impaired only)
Web Chat: https://webcontact.ncjrs.gov/ncjchat/chat.jsp
BJA-2019-15087 (BJA-2019-15306, BJA-2019-15304, BJA-2019-15307, BJA-2019-15305)
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Fundraising opportunity for USA, Canada, and International nonprofit organizations to host a jazz concert held in honor of their organization or cause. Applicants must contact the funding source prior to applying. In addition to funds raised through concert ticket sales
Grants to USA nonprofit organizations to reduce social inequality and promote solutions to the climate crisis. Eligible programs will address the areas of racial and economic justice, corporate and political accountability; voice, creativity, and culture; and an inclusi
Grants to USA nonprofit organizations for projects that benefit women and girls. The purpose of this grant program is to effect social change and promote gender equality. Grant funds may be used to support existing or new programs. Eligible applicants must work within t
Grants to USA, Canada, and International independent filmmakers for feature-length documentary films in development stage to post-production. Funding is intended to support independent, nonfiction films that demonstrate effective storytelling, feasibility and originalit
Grants to Alaska nonprofit organizations, schools, colleges, cultural centers, museums, and tribal organizations for educational opportunities in eligible regions. Funding is intended to provide access to high-quality education for native adults and children who are ori
Grants of up to $6,000 to Alaska nonprofit organizations, schools, colleges, tribal organizations, and individuals to promote the culture of Native Alaskans in eligible regions. Funding is intended to support projects that further the traditions of these peoples, preser
Grant to a USA nonprofit organization to improve healthcare among underserved populations. Applicants are advised to verify or create the required registrations well in advance of the deadline date. The purpose of the program is to educate mental health professionals ab
Grant of $9,500 to a USA, Canada, or International graduate psychology student for research and demonstration projects that foster understanding of the relationship between self-identity and scholastic achievement, primarily for children in kindergarten through eighth g
Grants to USA, Mexico, and Haiti nonprofits, for-profit organizations, and government entities for programs and services that improve the quality of life for underserved children. Focus areas include working families, equitable communities, and thriving children. The Fu
Grants to USA colleges, universities, and nonprofit media arts organizations for film fellowships and scholarships. Funding is intended to support film projects by students and fellows in the early stages of their careers. Films can be comprised of, but are not limited,