Foundation / Corporation
Gratiot County Community Foundation
Grants to Michigan nonprofit organizations for programs and projects that improve the quality of life for residents of the Gratiot County area. Proposals may focus on education, community development, environment, arts and culture, health and wellness, youth, social services, and recreation. In addition, programs that focus on improving the physical, mental and moral conditions of Gratiot County residents are also considered.
In reviewing grant applications, the Foundation will give careful consideration to:
- The ability of the organization to provide ongoing funding of the project after the term of the grant has expired (sustainability of the project).
- The potential impact of the request and the number of people who will benefit.
- An imaginative and innovative approach.
- The extent of local volunteers and support of the project.
- The extent of encouragement and collaboration with other organizations.
- The approval and commitment of the grant seekers' Board of Trustees or Directors.
- The organization's fiscal responsibility and management qualifications.
- The organization's efforts to seek a challenge or matching funds from other sources.
- The ability of the organization to obtain the necessary additional funding to implement and maintain the project.
- The clarity and completeness of the application. This is key in the consideration process, and the applicant should take care to include all information necessary for the Foundation to make an informed decision.
GrantWatch ID#: 178235
The Foundation usually will not award grants for multi-year funding (i.e., a grant paid out over two or more consecutive years). An extension of an existing grant does not constitute multi-year funding.
Applicants shall be non-profit tax exempt according to Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The Foundation will accept grant applications from the Gratiot County area. Applications from outside the County will only be considered if adequate funds are available and a significant number of persons from Gratiot County will be served.
The Foundation operates without discrimination as to age, race, gender, national origin, marital status, religion, or disability and will award grants only to applicants which do not discriminate on the same basis.
In order to make the best use of available funds, the Foundation usually will not award grants for the following, unless designated by the donor:
- Annual fundraising;
- Operating expenses. Foundation grants focus on program related expenses, however, salaries and other operating expenses directly related to program delivery may be considered on a caseby case basis;
- Religious or sectarian purposes;
- Political purposes;
- Multi-year funding (i.e., a grant paid out over two or more consecutive years. An extension of an existing grant does not constitute multi-year funding; and
- Projects that have been completed.
The completed application must be postmarked on or before the February 1st, June 1st, or October 1st deadline.
The deadline for the next Competitive Grant Cycle is June 1, 2018.
Organizations interested in applying are encouraged to discuss their project with the Foundation Executive Director prior to submitting an application. If the project meets the eligibility criteria and is consistent with the Foundation's program interests, a formal application will be furnished to the applicant.
The Distribution Committee meets three times per year to review funding requests. The Board of Directors will make the final decision.
Click on the links in the Supporting Documents section below to download the Grant Policies and Procedures, and the Grant Application forms.
Grant funds will be distributed upon receipt and approval of the Final Outcome Report, project budget, supporting receipts for expenditures and photos at the end of one year or upon completion of the project. Grants of $10,000 or more will receive a 50% advance distribution at the time the grant is awarded.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
USA: Michigan: Gratiot County area