Foundation / Corporation
09/28/18 5PM PT/8PM ET - Deadline for Spay and Neuter Providers only
Grants to USA animal shelters, adoption organizations, and nonprofit rescue organizations for animal control, welfare, sheltering and adoption, and spay and neuter programs. Organizations supporting service, therapy, and working animals are also supported.
The Foundation is proud to support organizations that care for animals in need, fight pet cancer, and celebrate the Foundation's Helping Hero therapy and working animals. The Foundation holds a responsibility to invest donor dollars in organizations that work to achieve shared, lifesaving goals. As such the Foundation seeks to support organizations that continually endeavor to achieve a high standard of doing more, and are determined to efficiently save as many lives as possible with the investment.
The Petco Foundation's applications are categorized by organization type instead of by type of project or program.
- Innovation Showdown
- Animal Welfare Organizations
- Helping Heroes: Service, Therapy, and Working Animal Organizations
- Holiday Wishes: Sheltering and Adoption Organizations
- Pet Cancer Research and Treatment Organizations
- Spay and Neuter Providers
Support for Pet Cancer Research and Support Organizations is available by invitation only.
If an organization serves a significant number of animals (at least 2,500 annual intakes), and is eligible to apply for funding based on the qualifications of the Petco Foundation, the organization may apply for a lifesaving impact award.
Lifesaving impact awards are grants of $100,000 or more and/or multi-year awards. Lifesaving impact awards are very limited and the process to request such award is more extensive. The amount of such award that the organization is seeking should be directly related to the number of animals that the organization serves, the percentage impact that the Petco Foundation's investment will make on the organization's lifesaving efforts and many other factors.
GrantWatch ID#: 178259
Organizations are invited to apply based on their organization type or primary purpose and mission.
Innovation Showdown eligibility: Animal welfare professionals with an idea that could help change the landscape of animal welfare and save more lives can submit ideas for Innovation Showdown.
Animal Welfare Organizations eligibility:
- Animal Control agencies and nonprofit organizations responsible for animal control field support and sheltering services.
- Nonprofit organizations responsible for animal control sheltering services but not field support (via contract or otherwise).
- SPCA/Humane Societies and other nonprofits that provide care and adoption services for animals in a sheltering facility.
- Nonprofit organizations that are primarily foster-based rescues.
Specific eligibility requirements for:
Animal Control agencies and nonprofit organizations responsible for animal control sheltering: This application is available to governmental agencies or nonprofit organizations that are providing animal control sheltering per local ordinance (as all, or a substantial part of operations). An organization should apply under this application if:
- The applicant is a government agency, department or division providing animal control sheltering; or
- The applicant is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and is providing animal control sheltering as a service
SPCA/humane societies and other nonprofits that operate primarily out of an animal sheltering facility: This application is available to nonprofit organizations such as SPCAs, humane societies and other similar types of nonprofit organizations that operate primarily from a building or facility for sheltering animals until adoption.
- Organizations applying under this application may also perform significant other functions like spay/neuter surgeries and veterinary clinic services in addition to the primary service of placing animals up for adoption.
- Important: If the organization provides animal control sheltering via contract as a substantial part of their operations, please select the application for organizations responsible for animal control sheltering. If contracted animal control is a minimal part of their operations, this application is appropriate.
Nonprofit organizations that are primarily foster-based rescues: This application is available to nonprofit organizations that are providing adoption services for animals in need. An organization should apply using this application if:
- The organization is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization;
- A primary service of your organization is temporarily caring for animals in need for the purpose of finding them new homes; and
- The organization is primarily a foster-based organization (meaning the great majority of the animals are cared for in foster homes).
If an organization is primarily one of the types listed below, please do not fill out an application at this time.
- Pet food bank (no application is currently available)
- Sanctuaries (no application is currently available)
- Community pet support organizations (no application is currently available)
- “Friends of” organizations (no application is currently available)
Spay and Neuter Providers eligibility: The Petco Foundation grant opportunity for organizations whose primary mission is spay and neuter welcomes organizations like spay and neuter clinics and community cat groups to apply under this application.
The Petco Foundation believes that governments and nonprofits can work together to help save the animals in the communities, and the Foundation welcomes requests from government agencies/departments. However, requests from government organizations should be focused on increasing lifesaving efforts, which could be programs and resources, needed to increase adoptions, return to owners, etc. The Petco Foundation grants may not be utilized to meet the needs of or subsidize government obligations to care for the animals in their communities.
The Petco Foundation is unable to support:
- Individuals or organizations outside the United States
- Nonprofit organizations whose primary mission is not related to companion animal welfare.
For sponsorship requests, please be advised that the Petco Foundation is unable to supply product, coupons, volunteers, personnel support, and event attendees.
The Petco Foundation offers support opportunities for organizations throughout the year.
- January 1 - January 31: Spay and Neuter Providers
- January 2 - February 16: Innovation Showdown
- March 15 - April 27: Helping Heroes, Service & Therapy Providers
- August 1 - September 28: Animal Welfare Organizations
Pet Cancer Research and Treatment Organizations are by invitation only.
It is important that applicants read the organization type definitions carefully prior to filling out an application and that applicants apply using the correct application for their organization.
Holiday Wishes 2017 stories:
Regular Applicant Registration Page tutorial:
Applicant Workflow with Decision Information tutorial:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
654 Richland Hills Drive
San Antonio, TX 78245
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming