Petco Foundation Grants
Grants to USA Animal Shelters and Adoption or Rescue
Organizations for Animal Care and Safety Programs
Organizations for Animal Care and Safety Programs
Foundation / Corporation
08/30/17 - Helping Heroes, Service and Therapy Providers
Grants to USA animal shelters, adoption organizations, and nonprofit rescue organizations for animal control field support and sheltering services, adoption services, and foster-based rescue programs. Priority will be given to applicants that exhibit accountability, success, and prudent use of funds. Organizations applying under this application may also perform significant other functions like spay/neuter surgeries and veterinary clinic services in addition to the primary service of placing animals up for adoption.
If your organization serves a significant number of animals (at least 2,500 annual intake), you may apply for a lifesaving impact award. Lifesaving impact awards are grants of $100,000 or more and/or multi‐year awards.
Lifesaving impact awards are very limited and the process to request such award is more extensive. The amount of such award that your organization is seeking should be directly related to the number of animals that your organization serves, the percentage impact that the investment will make on your lifesaving efforts and many other factors. You should not submit a lifesaving impact award grant unless your organization has a detailed plan to increase the lifesaving rate in your community, and this investment will assist in such efforts.
Lifesaving impact awards may be submitted for a variety of purposes, such as capital improvements, staffing and resource building, equipment needs, medical care, etc. Please submit a clear written plan regarding your organization’s overall programs and why you are seeking an award. Your plan should provide the history of your organization’s efforts to save animals, the current state of animal welfare in your community, the purpose for the investment, and how this investment will increase your future lifesaving efforts, including your specific goals and strategies.
Lifesaving Impact Awards are grants of $100,000 or more.
Lifesaving Impact Awards are multi-year awards.
The following organizations are eligible to apply:
- Animal Control agencies and non-profit organizations responsible for animal control field support and sheltering services.
- Non-profit organizations responsible for animal control sheltering services but not field support (via contract or otherwise).
- SPCA/Humane Societies and other non-profits that provide care and adoption services for animals in a sheltering facility.
- Non-profit organizations that are primarily foster-based rescues.
Specific eligibility requirements for:
Animal Control agencies and non-profit organizations responsible for animal control sheltering. This application is available to governmental agencies or nonprofit organizations that are providing animal control sheltering per local ordinance. Your organization should apply under this application if:
- You are a government agency, department or division providing animal control sheltering; or
- You are a 501c3 nonprofit organization and you are providing animal control sheltering as a service
SPCA/humane societies and other non-profits that operate primarily out of an animal sheltering facility. This application is available to nonprofit organizations such as SPCAs, humane societies and other similar types of nonprofit organizations that operate primarily from a building or facility for sheltering animals until adoption.
- Organizations applying under this application may also perform significant other functions like spay/neuter surgeries and veterinary clinic services in addition to the primary service of placing animals up for adoption.
- IMPORTANT: If your organization provides animal control sheltering via contact as a substantial part of your operations, please select the application for organizations responsible for animal control sheltering.
Non-profit organizations that are primarily foster-based rescues. This application is available to nonprofit organizations that are providing adoption and various other services for animals in need. Your organization should apply using this application if:
- You are a 501c3 nonprofit organization;
- A primary service of your organization is temporarily caring for animals in need for the purpose of finding them new homes; and
- Your organization is primarily a foster-based organization (meaning the great majority of the animals are cared for in foster homes).
- Organizations outside the United States; and
- Non-profit organizations whose primary mission is not related to animal welfare.
Animal Sheltering and Adoption Organizations:
January 1 - February 15 and June 1 – July 15
Spay and Neuter Providers:
March 1 - April 15
Helping Heroes, Service & Therapy Providers:
July 4 - August 30
Applicants may submit one proposal per grant cycle, with no more than two proposals per year.
If this is your first time applying for support through the online grant site, you'll need to create a new account when accessing the Partner Log In page.
Once an account has been set up for your organization, you’ll see a list of the grant opportunities currently offered. It is recommended to save the Partner Log In page as a "Favorite" so you can easily check the status of your application. You'll be notified of the decision regarding your application via email.
Instructions and Tutorials
Please review the two videos below for more helpful tips on navigating the grant application site:
Applicant registration video:
Application workflow video:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
654 Richland Hills Drive
San Antonio, TX 78245
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Our team of researchers and grant specialists review hundreds of funding resources daily to make sure GrantWatch.com provides members with the most up-to-date grants.