Foundation / Corporation
Charlottesville Area Community Foundation
Grants starting from $75,000 to Charlottesville area, Virginia programs that will increase and improve access to valuable resources and support needed by individuals or community groups. A concept paper is due February 1, 2018. The Foundation serves Charlottesville and the surrounding counties of Albemarle, Buckingham, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Nelson and Orange.
Previous grantees have been awarded for programs to create sustainable jobs, to strengthen the relationship between residents, the Housing Authority, and the City, or for food distribution. This grant track is focused solely on improving systems delivery for the community, and not on strengthening internal systems within a single organization.
The Charlottesville Area Community Foundation defines a “system” as the network of actors, policies, and practices affecting the provision of services and activities. Generally speaking, systems are the environment in which activities take place and they can shape how well those activities impact the people for whom they are intended to reach. Systems occur in every sector and in various forms.
The Grants Portfolio Committee uses the following criteria when evaluating proposed opportunities:
- The presence of a system to be strengthened and how well the concept being presented fits with the goals of the grant track.
- The size and scope of the system to be strengthened and whether the available funding could have an impact on the identified system.
- The potential to successfully develop a course of action to impact the identified system.
- The anticipated timeline and the partner’s current capacity to develop and implement a course of action to have the anticipated impact.
Additionally, the Committee considers the following areas when reviewing full proposals of finalists:
- Feasibility to implement the 2-3year course of action
- Timing of this effort (circumstances that may significantly improve or limit chances of success)
- What specifically the grant funds will cover
- Key deliverables
- Sustainability of the systems improvements after the grant period
GrantWatch ID#: 178337
In 2018, the Foundation team will conduct further due diligence on a small group of finalists with a goal to ultimately select 1-2 programs to support.
Grants are anticipated to be in the range of $75,000 to $100,000 annually, for 2-3 years.
Through this grant track, the Foundation aims to work with partners to clarify their systems strengthening goals and outline the course of action needed to achieve them in a 2-3 year period.
Grants are available for programs that strengthen how services and activities are delivered and accessed in the community.
The Community Foundation welcomes prospective partners to submit 2-page concept papers thatprovide an initial overview of a Systems Strengthening opportunity. The deadline to accept concept papers is February 1, 2018. Applicants should submit the 2-page concept paper to Brennan Gould, Director of Programs. The email should include the following subject line: Strengthening Systems Concept Paper Submission.
The Foundation will review all concept papers and respond to applicants by March 2018.
If an applicant's concept is selected as a finalist, the applicant will be asked to participate in at least one meeting with the Foundation's team to discuss the goals, strategy and the details of the full proposal package.
The full proposal will be due on May 15, 2018 and the Foundation will communicate final decisions by June 15, 2018.
USA: Virginia: Charlottesville and the surrounding counties of Albemarle, Buckingham, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Nelson and Orange.