City of Greenville
02/09/18 5:00 PM
Grants to Greenville, South Carolina nonprofits and government agencies for projects that will enhance local tourism and encourage economic development. Funding may be used for tourism capital projects, events, or marketing projects that promote tourism. Projects should seek to develop tourism through the generation of publicity and substantially increase travel to the City of Greenville for reasons of recreation or leisure. Proposed projects will be reviewed individually to determine their potential economic impact on local accommodations and restaurants.
As required by the South Carolina Accommodation Tax Law and the Local Hospitality Tax Act, projects must attract visitors to the City of Greenville.
Priority also will be given to expansive and unique projects that:
- Generate additional tourism-related tax dollars within the City of Greenville;
- Promote dining at restaurants and other eating and drinking establishments in the City of Greenville;
- Generate overnight stays in City of Greenville lodging facilities;
- Construct new or enhance existing recreation facilities to include amenities and trails;
- Promote and highlight the City of Greenville’s historic and cultural venues, recreational facilities, trails and events, and the uniqueness and flavor of the local community;
- Advertise and promote tourism so as to develop and increase tourist attendance through the generation of publicity;
- Promote arts and cultural events;
- Demonstrate additional government or private sector support is available to the project in an amount at least two (2) times the grant amount.
- Facilitate the acquisition, final-stage design, construction, repair, renovation, rehabilitation, or other capital improvements to historic and cultural venues, recreational facilities, and trails.
For this grant application, the City of Greenville is only considering tourism advertising and promotion expenses such as: print media, billboards, radio, television, and web-based media.
GrantWatch ID#: 178609
Projects meeting the eligibility requirement for Grant in Aid funding must be capable of fully implementing the project scope within one year.
- Applicant organizations must be in existence for at least one (1) year prior to requesting funds.
- Applicants must fall into one of the following categories: Government entity; organizations exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(C)(3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10) of the Internal Revenue Code and whose primary goal is to attract additional visitors through tourism promotion; destination marketing organizations which are recognized nonprofit organizations charged with the responsibility of marketing tourism for the City of Greenville.
- Applicants must provide an Internal Revenue Service tax exempt determination letter.
- All projects and/or events must occur within the Greenville city limits.
- If funding is provided for a facility or facility improvements, the facility must be open to the public.
- If funding is provided for an event, the event must be marketed and open to the public.
- Grantee organizations may not re-grant Accommodations or Hospitality Tax funds to other organizations (all funds must be spent on the project or event specified in the grant application by the organization that is awarded the funds.)
- Grantee organizations must be in good standing and without outstanding debt to the City of Greenville.
- The event or promotional opportunity must demonstrate a significant economic/cultural impact as relates to tourism, which may be fulfilled by showing documented hotel room nights booked and/or the number of tourists traveling into Greenville from outside their home communities (other means of documenting the impact on tourism that are clearly justified in the application will also be considered.)
Accommodation and Hospitality Tax grant funds may not be used for:
- Programming and marketing expenses associated with capital campaigns or non-facilities capital campaigns (e.g., endowment campaigns);
- Regular operating activities of an organization;
- Fundraising expenses; or
- Mortgage or loan payments.
Promotion expenses may not include souvenirs, prizes, give-a-ways, awards, trophies, or any other type of operational expense.
Application Deadline: 5 p.m., Friday, Feb. 9, 2018
Presentations to the Accommodations Tax Advisory Committee will take place in March. Each applicant will receive a notice with their appointment time.
Organizations successfully competing for a Grant in Aid award will be notified in June of each year. Funding will be available subsequent to July 1, of any given year.
Reimbursement requests are processed quarterly. Grantee organizations will receive notification when the first reimbursement is available.
Project must demonstrate additional government or private sector support at a level that is at least two times the grant request amount (for “start-up” organizations that have not previously received City funding for any otherwise eligible project, a demonstration of funds from non-City sources in an amount equal to the City requested amount (1 to 1 match) may be accepted). Other funding sources include, but are not limited to, ticket sales, sponsorships, contributions, other grants (including Greenville County Accommodations and Hospitality Tax Funds), etc.
If requested, capital projects may receive funds prior to completion if there is evidence that the proposed project:
- Has the matching funds committed to the project or demonstrates an ability to raise the match within 12 months of the grant approval date
- Demonstrates financial capacity to undertake the project within 24 months of the application deadline
- Has capital reserves in place
- Will be completed within five (5) years of the grant approval date
Local Accommodations Tax information:
South Carolina Accommodations Tax Laws:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Kristina Junker, Budget Analyst / Auditor
Office of Management & Budget
206 S Main Street, 7th Floor
Greenville, SC 29601
USA: South Carolina: Greenville