Morris County Office of Planning and Preservation - Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund
03/29/19 4:30 PM EST
Grants to Morris County, New Jersey government agencies, charitable conservancies, and religious and educational institutions for the preservation of historical resources. Applicants are required to submit a letter of intent prior to submitting a full application. Funding may be requested for the stabilization, acquisition, rehabilitation, preservation, and restoration of historic resources.
Grant applications for plans and reports associated with the implementation of a historic preservation project are also eligible. All historic resources must be eligible, or certified as eligible, for the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places.
There are three types of applications available:
- Projects that are principally construction-related should be detailed in the Construction application.
- Grant requests for acquisition and preservation planning documents should be completed on the Preservation Planning application.
- Grant requests for the preparation of Construction Documents should be completed on the Construction Documents application.
Goals of Program:
1. Foster comprehensive preservation planning to ensure the continued preservation of historic resources.
2. Stimulate preservation activity by providing funding for technical assistance and restoration projects.
3. Encourage long-term facilities planning and capital budget planning of historic resources.
4. Further the stewardship of the built and natural environment by helping preserve historic structures on open space tracts.
5. Heighten the public's awareness of Morris County's irreplaceable historic character.
6. Increase opportunities for heritage tourism in the County.
7. Help insure that preservation planning is an integral part of community development.
All applicants that plan to submit construction grant requests exceeding $50,000 must have prepared a Preservation Plan and obtained professional construction cost estimates based on construction documents before they are eligible to apply for funding toward the actual construction. Applicants may apply for a Non-Construction Grant that includes the preparation of a Preservation Plan, construction documents, construction cost estimates by a State of New Jersey-certified professional cost estimator, and/or relevant reports or analysis. The construction cost estimate must be escalated two (2) years to the anticipated construction period.
After obtaining a professional construction cost estimate, the applicant may apply for a Construction Grant that includes bidding, construction, and construction administration.
Construction grant applications must include a Maintenance Plan which conforms to the guidelines in the most current version of Historic Structure Reports & Preservation Plans – A Preparation Guide from the New Jersey Historic Preservation Office.
For a list of eligible activities, see:
GrantWatch ID#: 178703
1. Municipal governments within Morris County
2. Morris County Government
3. Charitable conservancies whose purpose includes historic preservation of historic properties, structures, facilities, sites, areas or objects, or the acquisition of such properties, structures, facilities, sites, areas or objects for historic preservation purposes. Charitable conservancies submitting applications must include documentation of their tax-exempt status. This includes charitable conservancies whose purpose is to preserve state and federal owned historic sites.
4. Religious institutions
5. Educational Institutions (Public School Districts and non-profit 501(c)(3) institutions)
1. The property must be located in Morris County.
2. The property must be listed on the National Register of Historic Places or the New Jersey Register of Historic Places, individually or as part of a historic district listed on the New Jersey Register and National Register.
3. If not listed on either Register, the property must be certified as eligible for listing by the State Historic Preservation Office, either as an individually listed site or as part of a historic district. A Certificate of Eligibility letter or a State Historic Preservation Officer Opinion (SHPO Opinion) issued by the New Jersey State Historic Preservation Officer or proof of State and National Register status must be included with the application.
Ownership of Project Properties:
1. Owner consent is required to submit any application, except for an acquisition.
2. For Construction Grants: If the applicant is not the owner, then the applicant must be able to prove possession and significant control over the property through a valid lease. The unexpired term of the lease must be 20 years from the date of application.
3. For Preservation Planning and Construction Documents Grants: If the applicant is not the owner or lessee with a 20 year unexpired lease term, then the applicant must be able to prove significant involvement with the property's preservation. Additionally, applicants for the preparation of a New Jersey Register of Historic Places nomination require an owner's consent to place the property in the Register.
4. All properties that are to be purchased must be purchased in fee simple and the purchasing entity must have full control of the land.
For a list of ineligible activities, see:
You are invited to attend a workshop in which staff will discuss the Historic Preservation Trust Fund grant program.
The 2019 Grant Application Workshop is scheduled for Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 7:00 - 8:30 PM at 300 Mendham Road (County Route 510) Morris Township, New Jersey. (Snow Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at the Morris County Cultural Center.)
The workshop will be an opportunity for you to ask questions about the program and suitability of projects such as:
-Is my project eligible?
-What kinds of projects were funded in the past?
-Are Construction Documents required for construction projects?
-Can religious institutions or cemeteries apply?
-What if my project isn’t currently listed on the National and New Jersey Registers?
Light refreshments will be served.
The deadline to submit a Declaration of Intent is February 28, 2019.
2019 Applications are due on Friday, March 29, 2019 at 4:30 PM.
All applications should be submitted to the Morris County Office of Planning & Preservation whose staff will conduct a preliminary review to determine eligibility and application completeness.
The Historic Preservation Trust Fund Review Board will make its grant recommendations to the Board of Chosen Freeholders in June 2019.
To be eligible for a grant that requires match funding, the applicant shall, as part of the application, show evidence of matching funds in hand or demonstrate clearly the ability to match the grant requested.
Match Funding Requirements:
-Construction: The Trust Fund will pay 80%; applicant will pay 20%
-Acquisition: The Trust Fund will pay 50%; applicant will pay 50%
-Preservation Planning & Construction Documents if less than or equal to $5,000: The Trust Fund will pay 100%; applicant will pay 0%
-If more than $5,000: The Trust Fund will pay 80%; applicant will pay 20%
Those projects for which Construction Documents were prepared without Program funding are welcomed to submit their Construction Documents for a preliminary review prior to the Grant Application deadline of March 29, 2019. They may also submit completed Construction Documents with their Construction Grant Applications.
More information about applications may be found here:
Rules and Regulations:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Please complete the application and return to:
Office of Planning and Preservation
P.O. Box 900
Morristown, NJ 07963-0900
USA: New Jersey: Morris County