Foundation / Corporation
Pasadena Community Foundation (PCF)
02/09/18 3:00 PM
Grants ranging from $10,000 to $30,000 to Pasadena, California nonprofit organizations for programs and projects that benefit Pre-K through twelfth-grade students. Funding is intended to improve academic achievement in disadvantaged students, including those who are low-income, minorities, or English-learners, in schools operated by the Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD). Funding will be provided for the expansion of existing programs or new pilot programs that focus on academic success.
PCF will only support programs that provide on-going academic interventions for PUSD students before school, after school, and/or during the summer to achieve measurable outcomes leading to improved achievement among disadvantaged populations in the PUSD.
PCF is interested in critical transitions as children move through the educational system. These include:
- Elementary school readiness
- 3rd-4th-grade literacy
- 8th-9th-grade algebra
- High school readiness/dropout prevention
- College prep and counseling
- Summer academic intervention programs
Based on the available research regarding best practices and effective interventions, PCF will fund programs that meet these requirements and/or employ these strategies:
- Qualified and trained staff
- Staff-child ratio meets recommended guidelines
- Space and equipment per child meets recommended guidelines
- Alignment with school district criteria for academic success
- Performance measurement, data collection, and program evaluation
Each application for an Education Grant will be judged by the positive impact and cost-effectiveness of the program to be funded. To be funded, existing programs must have track records of measurable educational outcomes, and new programs must have evaluation procedures in place to gauge the effectiveness of the programs and be part of an organization with an effective track record in the field.
GrantWatch ID#: 178918
Grant requests will be accepted from $10,000 – $30,000.
Each year, grant decisions will be limited to a single year’s funding.
- Grants may be made only to tax-exempt organizations under Section 501(c) (3) or 170(c) (1) or (2) (b) of the Internal Revenue Code. None shall be made to Private Foundations under Section 509(1) of the Code.
- An organization must have been in existence for at least two years (based on the date of IRS determination letter) and have achieved a record of effective service and sustainability.
- An agency may choose to apply for either the Capital Grant, Senior Grant, or Education Grant, but not more than one application can be submitted per cycle.
PCF will not make grants to or for:
- Direct aid to individuals
- Sectarian religious organizations or churches
- Individual public schools. PCF only supports PUSD schools through the Pasadena Educational Foundation (PEF).
- Private schools
- Influencing legislation or elections
- Agencies not engaged in the actual performance of direct services to individuals (no re-granting)
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, disability, ethnic origin, gender, gender orientation, race, or religion
While PCF recognizes the value of recreation and enrichment programs for youth development, these programs will not be funded as part of this grant program.
The deadline for 2018 Education Grant applications is Friday, February 9, 2018 at 3:00 PM.
Education Grants are awarded in May.
Click on the links in the Supporting Documents section below to download the application and grant checklist.
All application documents must be submitted in PDF format in a single email to the Foundation. The subject line should read: "2018 PCF Education Grant Application - [Org name]". File formats other than PDF (Word, Excel, Pages, JPG, etc.) are not acceptable.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Send application and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jennifer Fleming DeVoll, Executive Director
Phone: (626) 796-2097, ext. 2
Shawna McClain, Finance & Administration Assistant
Phone: (626) 796-2097, ext. 4
Pasadena Community Foundation
301 E. Colorado Blvd., Suite 810
Pasadena CA 91101
Phone: (626) 796-2097
Fax: (626) 583-4738
USA: California: Pasadena, in schools operated by the Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD).