Foundation / Corporation
FM Area Foundation - Women’s Fund
Grants ranging from $500 to $15,000 to Cass County, North Dakota and Clay County, Minnesota nonprofit organizations for programs and projects that benefit women and girls. Funding is intended to improve the leadership skills and develop the potential of local women and girls.
Specifically, funding will be provided for proposals in the areas of:
- Children in need of care
- Economic well-being of women and their families
- Women in leadership
The Fund is particularly interested in funding programs that bring about self-discovery, empowerment, and personal transformation, thus helping women or girls find their strength and voice to actively pursue leadership opportunities that impact businesses, nonprofits, faith-based, community, neighborhood, civic, government, and the community.
Grants may be awarded that provide funding for operations, enhancements to current operations and/or existing programs for new leadership initiatives and grassroots organizations.
Concepts may include:
- Activate: Inspiring, mentoring and educating women and girls to be leading innovators and change makers.
- Educate/Learn: Building knowledge and skills and challenging perceptions about leadership and the values that shape it, to grow opportunities for women and girls in leadership roles.
- Link: Women and girls with resources and networks that encourage and inspire leadership.
- Enable Multiplier Effects: Collaborations that will multiply the impacts for activating and growing leadership for women and girls.
- Broad-based: Activation and growth in leadership is a broad-based need; we encourage a host of urgent leadership needs to be considered whether it is small to large businesses, education, health, climate, renewable energy, etc.
- Foster Prosperity: The economic well-being of women and their families is positively impacted by having more women in leadership across all spectrums of society.
- Nurture Engagement: The ability to reach out and engage women from under-served groups and those who may not otherwise have access to leadership training and professional development opportunities resulting in significant social and economic returns.
Preference will be given to organizations that show an innovative, effective, and direct approach to activating leadership among women and/or girls; form partnerships with other community organizations for deeper impact; demonstrate the long-term sustainability and viability of the initiative; show a clear need for the funds and a plan for their use; and demonstrate a long-term commitment to this work.
In reviewing applications, the Foundation will consider the following criteria:
- The extent to which the proposal addresses a community need, demonstrates broad-based community support, and provides benefits to the community at large.
- The extent to which the proposal maximizes community resources through cooperation and collaboration with other organizations in the community and the elimination of redundant services, programs or projects.
- The capacity of the applicant's organization and the staff to achieve the desired result.
- The sustainability of the proposed project without additional long-term financial commitments from the FM Area Foundation.
GrantWatch ID#: 179226
For reference only, this year, the Women’s Fund awarded eight grants to organizations dedicated to lifting up women and girls in the local community.
The Women’s Fund will accept grant requests from $500 to $15,000. Operational support grants will be funded up to $5,000. Requests above this dollar amount must be for a project, program or collaborative effort.
Multi-year funding is not currently being funded.
Applicants must be an IRS-approved tax exempt nonprofit under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue code as described in IRC 501(c)(3) or a church or a tax-exempt school or other government entity, with a focus of serving Cass County, North Dakota, and Clay County, Minnesota, respectively.
Fiscal sponsorships are accepted with the completion and submission of your fiscal sponsorship agreement form.
Please note: the Foundation is not currently accepting applications for workforce solutions, as it is committed to a three-year, community-wide, collaborative initiative with the United Way of Cass-Clay to address this issue. If you'd like to learn more, please contact Lexi Oestreich (see Contact Information below).
Applications are due May 11, 2018.
Turnaround time varies based on the board meeting schedule, but is typically three months. Once you have applied, you will receive a notification with more details.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
Contact Lexi Oestreich with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phone: (701) 234-0756
FM Area Foundation - Women’s Fund
409 7th St. S
Fargo, ND 58103
USA: Minnesota: Clay County; North Dakota: Cass County