Foundation / Corporation
02/16/18 Receipt by email
Grants typically ranging from $1,000 to $20,000 to Kentucky nonprofits for programs and projects that meet the needs of local residents. An LOI email must be sent to the funding source in order to receive an application. Funding will be provided for proposals focusing on arts and culture, serving the handicapped and/or truly needy, the preservation of documents, history, and the environment, education, humane societies, senior citizen services, day care services, life enrichment services, and scouting and youth programs.
GrantWatch ID#: 179432
Grants typically range from $1,000 to $20,000.
All items must be purchased between the date of the grant award and Friday, December 14, 2018.
- Applicant must document status as 501(c)3.
- Applicant must have been in existence for at least 5 years.
- Applicant service(s) to be funded by the Kentucky Colonels must be primarily directed to citizens of Kentucky.
- Applicant must provide page one of the latest Form 990 filed with the IRS.
- The Kentucky Colonels does not fund “umbrella” agencies (i.e., organizations that conduct fund raising for the purpose of distributing such funds to other organizations. The applicant must be the end user.)
- Organizations with multiple offices or sub organizations are eligible for consideration only if none of the sub organizations have applied.
- Funding will be considered for specialized labor only (i.e. plumbing, electrical work, etc.), not general labor (i.e. painting).
Note: Organizations with outstanding grant commitments from the Kentucky Colonels will not be eligible to apply for the current funding cycle until their previous grant file has been closed.
Below is a listing of items Kentucky Colonels does not consider eligible for funding:
- Computers for office use*
- Facility rentals
- General office supplies (paper, pens, toner, etc.)
- Individual schools or programs directed to individual schools
- Convention/meeting registration fees
- Operational software such as Microsoft Office (Note: Nonprofit organizations can purchase this software at
drastically reduced prices.)**
- Overhead expenses such as rent, telephone, or electricity
- Academic Scholarships
- Service agreements and extended warranties
- Speaker/presenter fees
- Staff training
- Travel expenses and lodging
- Vehicle expenses (licensing, gas, insurance, etc.)
- Website development/maintenance
- General labor (i.e. painting)
- Individual universities, colleges, schools and school systems offering general education programs are, in practical terms, not eligible for funding from the Kentucky Colonels. Please contact the office if you wish to discuss.
1. Grant funds may not be used for salaries*, operational or administrative expenses. Items not eligible include insurance, utilities, rent, taxes, administrative computer equipment**,
software***, travel expenses, consultant fees, newsletters, websites and advertising.
*The salary limitation applies to your payroll.
**If your request includes computer equipment, you must demonstrate how the equipment will be utilized by, or to the benefit of, clients you serve. Computer equipment solely for use by your office will not be considered. As a cost guideline, a desktop computer with a 17-inch monitor should not exceed $700. A laptop computer’s cost should not exceed $900.
***Computer software for general office applications (such as word processing) will not be considered. Custom software to be used for clients is eligible for consideration.
2. Grant funds may only be used for requested items(s) specified by the Kentucky Colonels in
the original grant commitment letter.
3. The Kentucky Colonels do not fund retroactively. Requests that would be funded if the application is approved cannot be started or made until after written notice of approval has
been extended by the Kentucky Colonels.
4. Any excess amount authorized for an award may not be utilized for other purposes.
5. In general terms, funding is limited to items that “can be seen, felt, or touched”.
Friday, December 1, 2017 - Request for Application Opens
Tuesday, December 5, 2017 - Applications can be submitted
Friday, February 16, 2018 - Applications Due
By the end of September 2018 - Notification of Award
Friday, December 14, 2018 - All purchases complete and receipts turned in for reimbursement
How to Apply
Step 1: Take the Eligibility Quiz on page 2 of the Program Guidelines
Step 2: Send an email to the Grants Administrator and attach a letter of intent on letterhead and a copy of your tax exemption certificate. An answer to the letter of intent will be sent as quickly as possible via email. Once received, a copy of the application will be emailed. The Foundation will not send a receipt of delivery for applications however you can use a mail tracking service to ensure your documents arrive.
Step 3: Mail in the original and 2 copies of the completed application, all must be 3-hole punched.
The Kentucky Colonels may find a project worthy but beyond the financial capabilities of the Good Works Program. In such case, a commitment to provide partial funding on a matching basis may be issued. The actual commitment of funds will be made upon receipt of a notarized statement that the additional dollars needed to complete the project have been secured.
Note About Vehicle Funding:
Vehicle funding by the Kentucky Colonels is, at most, on a dollar for dollar matching basis up to a maximum that might be committed of $15,000. Kentucky Colonels reserves the right to make vehicle funding commitments at an even lesser matching amount.
You will be notified by the end of September, 2018. Although you will receive the award letter by the end of September, the letter will not include a check. The check will be distributed after all items have been purchased and the proper paperwork has been submitted. Funds may not be spent or committed prior to the receipt of the written authorization of the Kentucky Colonels.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For questions or (LOI) Letter of Intent approvals:
Kate Adams, Grants Administrator
1717 Alliant Avenue, Suite 14
Louisville, KY 40299
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Linda Boone at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-266-6114.