Foundation / Corporation
New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth)
05/07/19 1:00 PM
Grants starting at $50,000 to New York nonprofit and for-profit organizations to improve the health of State residents. An inquiry form must be submitted prior to the full proposal. Funding is intended to support projects benefiting vulnerable communities that have a regional or statewide impact on the State’s health system.
The New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth) has a broad mission to improve the health of all New Yorkers, especially the most vulnerable. To achieve meaningful impact, the Foundation makes grants, informs health care policy and practice, and spreads effective programs that work to improve New York’s health system.
To ensure flexibility and responsiveness to other important opportunities, the Special Projects Fund supports projects that fit the Foundation's mission but that are outside their main priority and focus areas (Building Healthy Communities, Empowering Health Care Consumers, and Veterans' Health).
All projects must have an impact on New Yorkers either at a local, regional, or statewide level.
Projects are coordinated interventions over a specified period of time to achieve measurable results. Although projects that have impact within one organization or community are eligible, this RFP places emphasis on initiatives that have a large-scale regional or statewide impact on New York State’s health system.
Projects Eligible for Funding Should Include:
- A clear articulation of need and a focus on vulnerable populations.
- A clear articulation of opportunity, goals, timelines, objectives, and measurable outcomes.
- An effective plan for evaluating the measurable impact of the project based on the potential funding to be received.
- The experience, potential, and readiness of the applicant organization to complete the project successfully.
- A demonstration of how the project will be financially and programmatically sustainable after one-time grant support from NYSHealth (particularly relevant for projects that start new services). It is important to explain the business plan for sustaining the project.
- Strong potential for replication elsewhere in New York State or nationally.
- Information on how and why the initiative represents a special opportunity for NYSHealth funding.
- A degree of creativity or innovation.
Projects will be assessed for the appropriateness of budget as it relates to the proposed scope of work and timeline.
GrantWatch ID#: 179490
Approximately 5 to 15 organizations are funded annually.
Funding requests can range from $50,000 to a maximum of $400,000. Special Projects Fund grants are typically in the $250,000 range. Funds requested must be commensurate with the work proposed.
Project durations vary, but typically are 12 to 36 months. Please note that the duration must be commensurate with project activities.
Special Projects Fund awards should be considered one-time, nonrenewable funding opportunities. Only in exceptional circumstances would NYSHealth consider making an additional grant for a project that has been previously funded.
NYSHealth will consider proposals from existing nonprofit (501[c]) and for-profit organizations with a significant ability to impact New York State.
Projects Not Eligible for Funding:
- Projects that address any of the Foundation's priority or focus areas: (1) Building Healthy Communities, (2) Empowering Health Care Consumers, and (3) Veterans’ Health.
- Projects that involve funding of ongoing services or activities similar to the normal activities undertaken by an organization.
- Core support/organizational infrastructure. Core support includes baseline operating and administrative costs, board development, staff development unrelated to the project, and fundraising activities.
- Projects that involve the purchase, installation, or upgrade of health information technology systems, including electronic medical records and other equipment.
- Projects that are biomedical research-oriented.
- Projects that focus on lobbying.
- Capital expenses (e.g., buildings, vehicles, rent)
General operating services are not funded.
The Full Proposal (invited applicants only) is due on May 7, 2019, at 1:00 p.m.
NYSHealth issues two funding cycles for Special Projects Fund through a request for proposals (RFP) each year.
All applicants are required to complete an online inquiry form. The upcoming Deadline for the online inquiry form is 1:00 p.m. on March 5, 2019.
- Funding Cycle One
Online Inquiry Form: October 3, 2018 at 1:00 p.m.
Full Proposal Invitation/Declination Notification: Beginning of November 2018
Full Proposal Due Date (invited applicants only): November 30, 2018 at 1:00 p.m.
Award Notification: End of March 2019
- Funding Cycle Two
Online Inquiry Form: March 5, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
Full Proposal Invitation/Declination Notification: Mid-April 2019
Full Proposal Due Date (invited applicants only): May 7, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
Award Notification: Beginning of October 2019
How to Apply:
- Step 1: All applicants are required to complete an online inquiry form.
- Step 2: After reviewing all inquiry forms, NYSHealth staff members will select applicants to submit a full proposal online. Selected applicants will be e-mailed specific submission instructions.
An applicant who applied to the Special Projects Fund, was invited and submitted an application, and was turned down, cannot resubmit the same project proposal. The applicant should, however, contact Foundation staff to get feedback on the proposal that was not awarded funding.
The Foundation encourages applicants to reach out to Foundation staff early in the process should they have programmatic questions.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online Inquiry Form and Portal:
Programmatic questions should be e-mailed to:
For technical questions regarding the online application process:
Grants Assistant Elena Pereira
(212) 584-7675 (please leave your telephone number)
New York State Health Foundation
1385 Broadway, 23rd Floor
New York, NY 10018
USA: New York City; New York