South Carolina Arts Commission (SCAC)
Grants of $2,500 to South Carolina master artists to train apprentice artists in the folk and traditional art forms. Applicants must contact program staff by February 15, 2018. Applications must include one master artist and one apprentice artist. This program provides emerging artists to learn from master artists in their field in order to advance their cultural and artistic knowledge.
Traditional arts are expressions of shared identity that are learned as a part of the cultural life of a particular group. This shared identity may be due to familial, geographic, tribal, occupational, religious or ethnic connections. Expressions of a living culture, traditional arts have been handed down from one generation to the next and reflect the shared experience and values of a group.
The Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Initiative assists with the communication and strengthening of cultural skills and knowledge by providing funds for a Master Artist's time and assisting an Apprentice with the cost of travel and necessary materials.
All documentation conducted by the program director during the apprenticeship will be deposited in the Folklife Resource Center at McKissick Museum, University of South Carolina.
The Master Artist and the Apprentice are required to:
-Work with the program director to ensure that deadlines for all paperwork are met.
-Work with the program director to establish and adhere to a lesson schedule.
-Notify the program director of any significant changes to the lesson schedule.
-Make themselves available to the program director for interviews and documentation of the project.
GrantWatch ID#: 179565
Award funds of $2,500 will be distributed in the following manner:
-The Master Artist will receive $2,000 to compensate for his/her time.
-The Apprentice will receive $500 to assist with travel and supplies.
Apprenticeships may last a maximum of 10 months. All activities must occur between July 1, 2018, and May 1, 2019.
Applicants must be residents of South Carolina and reside in the state during the apprenticeship period.
A Master Artist should:
-Be held in high regard for his or her skill, knowledge and cultural practice by his or her community through formal or informal recognition.
-Have attained excellence within his or her artistic tradition as defined by the cultural community.
-Be able to express in the application a sincere interest and commitment to teaching the tradition to a proposed apprentice.
An Apprentice Artist should:
-Demonstrate interest and basic competency in the art form prior to the apprenticeship (generally at least one year of relevant experience).
-Be at least 12 years old and have parental approval to apply if younger than 18. (If an Apprentice is under 18 years of age, the contract will be made on the behalf of the apprentice through a parent or legal guardian).
-Be able to express in the application a sincere interest and commitment to learning from the Master and sharing with others the knowledge learned after the completion of the Apprenticeship.
-Modern interpretations of traditional art and revivals of traditions that have ceased to exist within the originating culture will not be funded.
-This program does not support beginning-level students.
-Priority for funding is given to projects focusing on traditional arts considered to be endangered.
-Apprentice must belong to the same community/folk group as the Master Artist.
-Priority for funding is given to applicants who have not been funded through the Traditional Arts Apprenticeship
Program in previous years. However, previously awarded Master Artists and Apprentices are eligible to re-apply to the Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Program.
To be considered for this grant, you must contact the Arts Commission by February 15, 2018. The application process must be completed by April 5, 2018.
75% of the award will be given at the beginning of the project. The remaining 25% will be given after final interview and report are submitted to SC Arts Commission and approved by the program director and grants department.
Before you apply: http://www.southcarolinaarts.com/grants/before.shtml
Completing the application: http://www.southcarolinaarts.com/grants/completing.shtml
Terms and Definitions: http://www.southcarolinaarts.com/grants/appgloss.shtml
Support Materials: http://www.southcarolinaarts.com/grants/supportmaterials.shtml
After the Grant Award: http://www.southcarolinaarts.com/grants/afterthe.shtml
General Information: http://www.southcarolinaarts.com/grants/general.shtml
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Laura Marcus Green, Program Director
South Carolina Arts Commission
1026 Sumter St
Columbia, SC 29201-3746
USA: South Carolina