Doctoral Dissertation Grant Program
Grants to USA and Canada PhD Students for
Dissertations on Family, Children, and Community
Dissertations on Family, Children, and Community
Foundation / Corporation
Fahs-Beck Fund for Research and Experimentation and The New York Community Trust
11/01/17 5:00 PM ET Receipt
Grants of up to $5,000 to USA and Canada PhD students to cover dissertation expenses. Specifically, funding is intended for students researching problems in the functioning or well-being of communities, adults, couples, children, families, or about alleviating these problems through interventions.
The research for which funding is requested must focus on the United States and/or Canada or on a comparison between the United States and/or Canada and one or more other countries.
The committee considers four criteria in evaluating each proposal:
1. The compatibility of the proposed work with the areas of funding supported by the Fund.
2. The significance, impact, and expected benefit of the study. This includes the scope of the problem addressed (how many people are potentially affected?); salience or severity of the problem addressed (is this an issue of major importance in the lives of those affected?); and the certainty of the payoff (how likely is it that the study will have an impact on those affected by the issues addressed?).
3. The conceptual and technical merit of the proposed study. This includes the clarity and soundness of the logic of the study and the appropriateness of the methodology. The Fund welcomes both quantitative and qualitative approaches, as long as the approach taken is appropriate to the goals of the study. The Fund particularly encourages experimental designs, where appropriate.
4. The likelihood of successful and timely completion of the proposed work. This is based on an assessment of the applicant's education, experience, achievements, and ability, and on the feasibility of the proposed study.
Data Collection and Preparation, such as:
- Purchase or reproduction of instruments or tests
- Tape for and transcription of recorded interviews
- Research interviewers, case record readers, coders, scorers, or judges (excluding the applicant)
- Local travel to interview sites
- Small incentives or hospitality for subjects
- Supplies, photocopying, telephone, postage, etc.
Data Analysis, such as:
- Computer software
- Computer or statistical consultation or training
Preparation of Final Dissertation Copy, such as:
- Preparation of charts or illustrations
- Typing of text
- Photocopying for committee review
- Up to 10% of the funds requested may be charged by the sponsoring institution to administer the grant. (It is requested that the institution wave this charge, if possible). If charged, this amount must be included in the budget, which may not exceed a total of $5,000.
Grants of up to $5,000 are available.
Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited doctoral program in the United States or Canada. The sponsoring organization must agree to accept administrative responsibility for the project and submit required financial forms and reports to the Fund.
The following expenses are not allowed: salary, fringe benefits, tuition, or living expenses for the applicant; major travel, hotel costs, or conference attendance; purchase of major equipment or furniture; and expenses incurred prior to faculty approval of dissertation proposal or after faculty approval of completed dissertation.
The deadlines are 5:00 PM Eastern Time April 1 and November 1, unless the deadline falls on a weekend, in which case the deadline will be the following Monday at 5:00 PM. Applications must be received (not postmarked) by the deadline.
Sponsoring institutions and candidates will be notified of this final decision approximately three months after the application deadline. If a grant is awarded, the check will be made payable to the applicant organization and sent to the attention and address of the university official designated in the application.
It is not possible for the Fund to provide feedback on applications that are declined; nor may applications, once declined, be resubmitted to the Fund for further consideration.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Email a PDF of the dissertation proposal to: email@example.com with your name in the subject line.
The remaining items should be included in one package to:
Fahs-Beck Fund for Research and Experimentation
c/o The New York Community Trust
909 Third Avenue, 22nd Floor
New York, NY 10022
Communications to the Fund prior and subsequent to the submission of an application should be sent to James Herbert Williams, PhD at firstname.lastname@example.org.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
Our team of researchers and grant specialists review hundreds of funding resources daily to make sure GrantWatch.com provides members with the most up-to-date grants.