Foundation / Corporation
Rhode Island Foundation - Providence Shelter for Colored Children
Grants to Providence, Rhode Island nonprofit organizations for programs and services that provide basic needs and educational opportunities to children of African descent. Preference will be given to activities that serve many children rather than few children. While funding is intended for services to assist children under 14, programs for high school-aged children may be considered.
GrantWatch ID#: 179601
Grants are usually disbursed beginning in August following grant approval through March of the following year. If your program should need funding early in the Shelter’s fiscal year (which begins on May 1st), please include such information in your application.
The Proposal Review Committee uses these guidelines when evaluating grant applications:
- Service to groups which serve black children
- Children to be served should live in the greater Providence area
- Children to be served should be under 14, though high school aged children may be considered
- The grant should provide service of basic needs and/or educational opportunities.
- Preference will be given to programs serving more rather than fewer children (e.g. scholarships for one child are not available)
- Approval may also take into consideration the other sources of an agency’s income.
- Funding is for services to children, not for equipment or capital improvements
Requests must be completed and submitted by March 31, 2018.
Applicants will be informed of the Proposal Review Committee’s decision after the Shelter’s Annual Meeting in May.
Grants are made based on projected income, therefore funds are not immediately available. They are usually disbursed beginning in the August following grant approval, and funding continues through March of the following year.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For general inquiries or content related questions with the application:
For technical questions:
Proposal Review Committee
PO Box 603276
Providence RI 02906
USA: Rhode Island: Providence