07/16/18 5:00 PM or Postmarked
Grants to Jackson, Mississippi organizations, public facilities, individuals, and groups for programs that will enhance local tourism through events that benefit the public. An LOI is due May 30. Programs should enhance tourism efforts through marketing and advertising assistance. Greater consideration and higher priority will be given to projects that demonstrate the highest potential for causing major economic impact, especially through increasing restaurant revenue and hotel occupancy.
Qualified applicants must clearly demonstrate the ability to generate a major positive economic impact by attracting verifiable spectators or participants from outside the Jackson area to stay overnight in hotels and/or patronize Jackson restaurants.
Items eligible for funding assistance include, but are not limited to, the following:
1) Development of new events, quality major exhibits and activities geared toward generating overnight Visitors and/or increasing restaurant revenue in Jackson
2) Successful expansion of established events or attractions that have previously generated overnight Visitors and/or increased restaurant revenue in Jackson
3) Advertising that includes a tourism message through mass media. Examples are: newspapers, magazines, radio, television, billboard, and online. Placements should be in markets more than 90 miles outside of Jackson for higher consideration of funding
4) Advertising, that includes a tourism message, within a 90-mile radius must strongly demonstrate the potential for increasing restaurant revenue.
5) Promotional activities that complement advertising, including materials that create awareness and build or maintain a good image of Jackson.
- Examples: printing brochures or inserts for events prior to event, production of display booths, banners, signs and posters (not for resale); website development/ photography, and creative execution.
GrantWatch ID#: 179616
Applicants may apply for funding up to 50% of total qualified advertising expenses.
Projects should occur between October 1, 2017 and September 30, 2018.
Grants are available for individuals,organizations,attractions, and groups who promote inbound tourism through public events.
Applicants must be classified in one of the following categories:
1) Festival/Event: a public, themed celebration or activity
2) Attraction/Public Use Facility: zoological park, botanical garden, historical houses, historical buildings, museums, stadiums, auditoriums, Mississippi State Fairgrounds complex, etc.
3) Organization/Association: entities that have a primary objective of promoting tourism in Jackson, i.e., Restaurant Association, Hotel/Motel Association, Thalia Mara Arts Foundation, Friends of the Zoo, etc
Items ineligible for funding consideration include, but are not limited to:
1) Expenses incurred before project approval
2) Projects restricted to private or exclusive participation
3) Administrative costs including salaries, postage, telephone expenses, travel, food, beverages, lodging and entertainment for personnel and volunteers of organizations
4) Tangible personal property including, but not limited to, office furnishings, office equipment, permanent collections or individual pieces of art, street barricades, etc.
5) Interest, reduction of deficits or loans
6) Scholarships, endowments or cash awards of any description
7) Funding to acquire, construct, extend or maintain a facility
8) Activities or materials that violate the law
9) Events that take place outside the city of Jackson
10) In-kind service
If you are not already receiving funding through this program, but would like to apply for the upcoming grant period, please complete a Letter of Intent and return it to the office by May 30, 2017. After this information is received, you will be contacted to set up a meeting to discuss your project and review the requirements to receive funding and assistance with completing the application and final report.
Applicants will be notified of the Board’s decision in October.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Return applications to:
Jonathan Pettus, Grant Administrator
111 East Capitol Street, Suite 102
Jackson, MS 39201
USA: Mississippi: Jackson