Foundation / Corporation
Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation (SMIF)
In-kind book donations to Southern Minnesota nonprofits, public agencies, and units of government in eligible counties to promote literacy and school-readiness for young children up to five years of age. The program aims to bring books into homes for parents to read to their children.
Priority in funding will be given to projects that:
- Strengthen parental awareness of early literacy needs, including communication and language development.
- Target populations that may not be receiving books through any other avenues in the community.
- Collaborate with other organizations to provide literacy tools to enhance and increase school readiness skills.
- Are new and creative.
GrantWatch ID#: 179754
Books must be distributed within one year of the grant award date.
Applications must be submitted by an independent 501(c)(3) organization, a unit of government or a public agency.
Proposals must benefit SMIF’s 20-county region, which includes Blue Earth, Brown, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Le Sueur, Martin, Mower, Nicollet, Olmsted, Rice, Sibley, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan, and Winona Counties.
Only one application per organization will be considered.
Ineligible activities include:
- Books used as library and/or school books.
- Books for resale.
- Books not given directly to children to take home to keep, to read and be read to.
- Books as a pass-through from one organization to another
- Projects that do not include a significant parent education component focused on literacy.
For grant award consideration, submit a completed application by April 12, 2018.
Applicants will be notified of award decisions by May 10, 2018.
Grant recipients are required to attend a book pick up on June 21, 2018 in Owatonna.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Email or mail applications to:
Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation
PO Box 695
Owatonna, MN 55060
For questions about what SMIF might fund contact Teri Steckelberg, Early Childhood Director, at 507.214.7015 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about the application process or required documentation contact Jennifer Heien, Grants Coordinator, at 507.214.7040 or email@example.com
USA: Minnesota: Blue Earth, Brown, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Le Sueur, Martin, Mower, Nicollet, Olmsted, Rice, Sibley, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan, and Winona Counties