Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs - Iowa Arts Council
05/01/19 11:59 PM
Grants ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 to Iowa artists, nonprofits, PreK-12 schools, IHEs, and government agencies for specific arts projects. Funding is intended to create and present new works of art, develop arts experiences, or implement arts education programs. Funded programs should be innovative, collaborative, and open to all Iowans.
Eligible projects must involve the creation and presentation of an original work of art, arts experience or arts learning opportunity and must demonstrate public value to Iowans through deliberate public engagement and access to project activities. Types of eligible projects include exhibitions, expositions, fairs, festivals and community events or activities dedicated to the arts. All project activities must have a clear beginning and end date within the eligible funding period.
Applicants may only apply for support of a yearly event or series if the applicant can demonstrate how the project is unique and worthy of support within the particular year of the funding period. Project content must change from year to year.
Applicants may only apply for support of a public art project if the applicant can demonstrate broad based community engagement and programming surrounding the project.
The grant request, cash match and in-kind match expenses must be legitimate parts of the proposed project and must be incurred and expended within the eligible funding period. Eligible grant request and match expenses include direct project costs such as:
- Artist Fees (e.g. creation, preparation, performance time)
- Contractor Fees (e.g. printer, graphic designer, security)
- Domestic Travel (e.g. mileage, accommodation, per diem)
- Equipment under a total of $5,000 per unit (e.g. camera, software, kiln)
- Materials (e.g. paint, costumes, props)
- Marketing (e.g. print material, ad buys, design fees)
- Personnel Time Dedicated to the Project* (e.g. planning, execution, evaluation time)
- Rentals (e.g. stages, lighting/sound, scissor lift, portable restrooms)
*Applicant must demonstrate how personnel time is specifically dedicated to the proposed project. Personnel benefits are not eligible.
GrantWatch ID#: 179803
Minimum Grant Request: $1,000
Maximum Grant Request: $10,000
All project activities and incurred expenses must occur within the eligible funding period of July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020.
Eligible applicants must be one of the following types of entities. Entities who do not meet these requirements are not eligible to apply.
Current, legal Iowa resident artist who is 18 years of age or older and physically located in Iowa:
- Residence is defined by Iowa Code 422.4 and Iowa Administrative Code 701.38.17 (422)
- An application from an individual artist must support a project that is initiated and managed by the individual artist, not an organization. Project must be designed to benefit the individual artist and may not benefit an organization with which the individual applicant has a formal affiliation such as employment or volunteer service
- Individuals who seek funding on behalf of programs or entities that are not yet formally organized as a nonprofit must apply as an organization and adhere to the Fiscal Agent Policy
- Applicants who represent an artist collective or group must apply as an individual artist and clearly state their individual role in the project proposal.
Federally tax exempt 501(c)3 nonprofit organization incorporated and physically located in Iowa
- Physical location of the organization is defined as maintaining a current home office and registered agent address in Iowa defined by Iowa Code 490.501 as well as maintaining a primary staff presence physically located and working in Iowa
- Entities located in a border community may be eligible under the Border State Policy
- Entities that are not yet formally organized may be eligible under the Fiscal Agent Policy
Other Eligible Applicants:
- Public and private schools that serve grades preK through 12 and are located in Iowa
- Nonprofit institution of higher education physically located in Iowa
- Unit of local, county or federally-recognized tribal government physically located in Iowa
- For-profit corporation or business
- Applicants who have already submitted two unfunded applications for the same project
- Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs grantees who have already received a grant for the current application funding period
- Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs grantees who have already received a grant from the department for any part of this project
- Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs grantees who have an outstanding final report or who have been placed on a department funding moratorium
Iowa Arts Council Administered Grant Program Eligibility:
- No more than one application per applicant can be submitted during a single grant deadline regardless of grant program
- No more than two applications for the same project may be submitted regardless of fiscal year if both applications are unfunded
- Projects may not receive more than one Iowa Arts Council administered grant regardless of applicant or fiscal year
- Eligible artists may only receive one Art Project Grant or one Artist Fellowship in a single fiscal year
Art Project Grants do not fund foreign travel or domestic travel dominant projects that primarily benefit the applicant. Projects that involve domestic travel outside of Iowa must clearly demonstrate how the activities benefit Iowans and the arts community in Iowa.
Ineligible projects: https://iowaculture.gov/sites/default/files/arts-grants-artproject-guidelines-ex-05-01-2019.pdf#page=2
Ineligible expenses: https://iowaculture.gov/sites/default/files/arts-grants-artproject-guidelines-ex-05-01-2019.pdf#page=3
Fiscal Year 2020 Application Deadline – May 1, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
Applicants will be notified of funding decisions within 8 weeks of the application deadline.
Applicants are required to demonstrate investment in a project by providing matching funds for eligible one-time project expenses that are incurred and expended within the eligible funding period in an amount that is equal to or greater than the total grant amount requested from the Iowa Arts Council. One-half of the required dollar for dollar match must be cash. The remaining one half may be either in-kind or cash.
Slideroom Help Desk: https://support.slideroom.com/
Informational Webinar: https://youtu.be/yJA0IH7y9Vc
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Veronica O’Hern, Grant Services and Artist Programs Manager
Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs
State Historical Building
600 E. Locust St.
Des Moines, IA 50319