Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs - Iowa Arts Council
11/01/18 11:59 PM
Grants of $10,000 and in-kind support to Iowa nonprofit organizations, K-12 schools, government agencies, and tribal governments to meet community challenges and explore civic issues through the arts. Funding is intended to support programs and projects that effect change in specific areas of community need such as health, social justice, transportation, and the environment; showcase artists and arts leaders as engaged and innovative partners in the social sphere; and connect artists and arts leaders with public entities and community organizations outside the arts sector. In addition to a cash award, recipients will receive technical assistance to help develop the project from either Iowa State University, University of Iowa or University of Northern Iowa.
The Arts Build Communities grant program is designed to provide support to initiatives that uniquely address civic challenges and community issues through the arts. Participants will receive financial and technical assistance as well as faculty and student resources to carry out project activities. The assistance will be provided by either Iowa State University, University of Iowa or University of Northern Iowa. Each university selects one project to mentor based on its resources and abilities.
Today many communities face complex challenges that affect the community’s quality of life and require interdisciplinary and cross-sector solutions. Artists can offer new ways of looking at and developing innovative solutions to these persistent challenges. The IAC seeks to build stronger communities by fostering the relationship between civic organizations and artists and arts organizations existing within the community.
- Financial Assistance: Participants will receive $10,000 in grant funds from the Iowa Arts Council to support related expenses, including artist fees, materials, supplies and marketing expenses.
- Faculty and Staff Assistance: Participants will receive advisory and technical assistance from Iowa Arts Council staff and university faculty and staff to design and implement projects.
- Student Assistance: Participants may be matched with university graduate and undergraduate students, on a project by project basis, to assist in project design and implementation.
GrantWatch ID#: 179804
All proposed arts events or arts activities supported with the grant funds must occur within the eligible funding period of July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020.
- Federally tax exempt 501(c)3 nonprofit organization incorporated and physically located in Iowa. Physical location of the organization is defined as maintaining a current home office and registered agent address in Iowa defined by Iowa Code 490.501 as well as maintaining a primary staff presence physically located and working in Iowa.
- K-12 School physically located in Iowa
- Unit of local, county or federally-recognized tribal government physically located in Iowa
- Organizations designated as Cultural Leadership Partners by the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs
- Individual Artists
- Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs grantees who have an outstanding final report or who have been placed on a department funding moratorium
The deadline to apply for this biennial program is November 1, 2018 for arts projects taking place between July 1, 2019-June 30, 2020. Applicants must submit applications via the Iowa Arts Council’s SlideRoom, an online application portal. Applications will not be accepted in any other format.
- Fiscal Year 2020 Application Deadline – November 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM for arts projects taking place between January 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020.
- Funding Award Notification – Applicants will be notified of funding award decisions within 8 weeks of application deadline.
- Planning Period – Program participants will work with assigned program partners to develop project plan as well as define partner roles within the planning period of January 1, 2019 - June 30, 2019.
- Funding Period – All proposed arts events or arts activities supported with the grant funds must occur within the eligible funding period of July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020.
Potential applicants are encouraged to review all published material and contact Iowa Arts Council staff members, Liesl Voges, Community Development Manager with questions well in advance of application deadlines.
Eligible applicants may receive one grant award per state fiscal year. Projects may not receive more than one grant from the Iowa Arts Council regardless of applicant.
No more than one application per applicant per program can be submitted during a single grant deadline.
No more than two applications for the same project may be submitted regardless of fiscal year if both applications are unfunded.
Informational webinar: http://cc.readytalk.com/play?id=1lvkd
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To apply online: https://iowaartscouncil.slideroom.com/#/login
Liesl Voges, Community Development Manager
Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs
State Historical Building
600 E. Locust St.
Des Moines, IA 50319