Foundation / Corporation
Jasper Community Foundation (JCF)
04/15/19 Receipt or Postmarked
Grants to Jasper County, Iowa nonprofit organizations and government agencies, including schools, IHEs, fire departments, and libraries to benefit local communities. Program areas include health, education, and human services; arts, culture, and humanities; public and society benefits and other community activities.
Principles for Grant Making:
- The Foundation makes grants to support creative and innovative programs, current or emerging charitable opportunities, services not presently offered, and capital projects that enhance the quality of life in the county.
- Especially interesting are projects proposed by coalitions of service providers, and those likely to gain support from matching fund arrangements.
- Projects funded should not represent significant duplication of initiatives already undertaken by other nonprofit agencies.
- Special attention will be given to projects that apply to broad segments of the population.
- Low priority will be given to programs or projects which have a narrow impact or sectarian purpose.
Criteria to be Used by the Selection Committee:
- The intrinsic merit of the project proposed.
- The number of residents country-wide that will be affected by the grant.
- The priority of the need to be met.
- The clarity and measurability of the project goals.
- The organizations ability to complete the project if only a partial disbursement of the grant request is made.
- Plans to fund the project beyond the grant period.
- The feasibility of the project and the time frame given for its completion.
GrantWatch ID#: 179909
Grant amounts are dependent upon the allocation of funds available to the Community Foundation each fiscal year.
Grantees must complete the project within six months after receipt of the grant money.
- Be located in and serving primarily clients in Jasper County.
- Serve a charitable purpose by enhancing the quality of life in Jasper County in such areas as arts, culture, humanities; health, education, human services; environment, animals; public, society benefits and other community activities.
- To be considered for any of these funds, an organization must be a tax-exempt, nonprofit entity classified by the IRS as 501(c)(3) or a 170(c)(1) governmental entity. If an organization is not a 501(c)(3), then the organization must have a fiscal sponsor who will be legally and financially responsible. Definitions are outlined below:
- Tax-Exempt Nonprofit Entity (IRS) - Organizations must be recognized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as tax-exempt, nonprofit, public charities under section 501(c)(3) or as a “unit of government” under Section 170(c)(1) to receive grant funding. A 501(c)(3) is a section of the Federal Tax Codes, which establishes the criteria for tax-exempt charitable organizations. Section 170(c)(1) refers to agencies that conduct activities to benefit the public-at-large, like public schools, state universities, public libraries, and volunteer fire departments.
- Fiscal Sponsor - An organization that is receiving money on behalf of the grant applicant and is responsible for disbursing the money for the project and maintaining appropriate documentation. This entity must by a 501(c)(3) or a 170(c)(1) unit of government in order to serve in this capacity. A fiscal sponsorship agreement must accompany the grant application if a fiscal sponsor is being used. This agreement is available within the JCF Grant Application.
Grants are not made in support of annual operating budgets.
Requests will generally be denied for crisis intervention, current budget support, elimination of deficits, reduction of debt or funding of completed projects.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2019
Grant applicants will be notified of their grant status (approved or declined) eight to 10 weeks following the deadline.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Please mail your completed application to:
The Jasper Community Foundation
P.O. Box 924
Newton, Iowa 50208
or email your application as a PDF to:
Dan Skokan, President
USA: Iowa: Jasper County