Foundation / Corporation
The Wellmark Foundation
06/07/19 5:00 PM CST - Deadline for Small Grants
Grants to South Dakota and Iowa nonprofit organizations and government agencies for programs and initiatives that increase the consumption of and access to nutritious foods, and for programs that create safe and healthy environments. Funding is intended to support healthier communities across Iowa and South Dakota.
The Wellmark Foundation’s goal is to be a catalyst in bringing groups together to positively impact health within a community. The Foundation's funding focuses on sustainable initiatives in two areas:
- Increasing access to and consumption of nutritious foods: Good nutrition is a cornerstone to optimal health and well-being.
- Creating safe and healthy environments in which to be active: Built environment approaches — infrastructure and man-made systems, such as community design, parks, trails and other amenities — make it easy to engage in active living, which is likely to increase physical activity for all age groups.
For a list of successful grant criteria, see the RFP: https://www.wellmark.com/foundation/documents/Wellmark-Foundation-MATCH-RFP.pdf#page=6
GrantWatch ID#: 180088
Large MATCH Grant: requests up to $100,000
Small MATCH Grant: requests up to $25,000
Large MATCH projects must be completed within two years. Small MATCH projects must be completed in one year.
To be eligible to apply for a grant from The Wellmark Foundation, the primary applicant (fiscal agent) must meet all the following requirements:
- Must be classified as a Section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization under Internal Revenue Code or a governmental entity.
- Must be an organization within the states of either Iowa or South Dakota or seeking funding support for grant funding restricted for use in Iowa or South Dakota.
- Cannot have a contractual relationship with Wellmark, Inc., Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa, Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Dakota, Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa, Inc. or Wellmark Valued Health Plan. This does not include having health insurance coverage through Wellmark.
The Wellmark Foundation will not award grants for:
- Biomedical research that will not impact local residents in the immediate future or that does not have a direct application to implementing a community-driven health intervention
- Uncompensated care for direct clinical services or services that are billable for third-party reimbursement
- Disease management programs or projects focused on patient populations with specific diagnosis
- Organizational indirect costs
- Programs operated by or for the benefit of for-profit organizations
- Debt retirement
- Annual fund drives or capital campaigns
- Fundraising events
- Reimbursement for cost of projects already completed or underway before grant is approved
Large MATCH Grant: The grant must be matched dollar-for-dollar with cash or in-kind contributions. At least one-half of the matching support must be cash.
Small MATCH Grant: The grant must be matched 50 percent with cash or in-kind contributions. At least one-half of the matching support must be cash.
Large MATCH Timeline:
- Proposals are due by 5:00 PM CST, Feb. 22, 2019.
- Grants selected will be announced in May and the prospective grantee will have 16 weeks to demonstrate the match has been secured.
- Grantees meeting the required match will be awarded grant funds in September 2019.
Small MATCH Timeline:
- Applications for the Small MATCH grants will be available April 26, 2019.
- Proposals are due by 5:00 PM CST, June 7, 2019.
- Grants selected will be announced in August and the prospective grantee will have 12 weeks to demonstrate the match has been secured.
- Grantees meeting the required match will be awarded grant funds in November 2019.
Grant announcement/applications: https://www.wellmark.com/foundation/news.html
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit applications to: WellmarkFoundation@Wellmark.com
The Wellmark Foundation Manager
The Wellmark Foundation
1331 Grand Avenue, Station 5W447
Des Moines, IA 50309
USA: Iowa; South Dakota