Foundation / Corporation
Lancaster County Community Foundation
09/21/17 11:59 PM
Grants ranging from $5,000 to $10,000 to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania nonprofits for organizational development projects. Applicants are encouraged to contact program staff before applying. Additionally, Foundation staff will review application drafts submitted by September 7, 2017.
The Capacity Building Program supports projects that build an organization’s capacity to fulfill its mission. Community benefit organizations (CBO’s) are encouraged to utilize services offered by Leadership Lancaster and PANO, or professional consultants who can assist in enhancing the organization’s impact on the community.
Examples of Capacity Building:
- Strategic Planning
- Board Development
- Succession Planning
- Marketing Plans
- Development Plans
- Establishing shared administrative services
Evaluation criteria include:
1. Project Vision – Does the vision for the project position the organization to better fulfill its mission in the community?
2. Organizational Sustainability – Does this capacity building effort increase the organization’s long-term sustainability?
3. Need/Opportunity – How effectively are the organizational needs, opportunities, and timeliness of this capacity building initiative communicated?
4. Implementation Plan – Does the application outline a plan for project coordination, utilization of funding, strategies, and a timeline?
NOTE: A best practice for typical capacity building efforts includes a combination of consulting services and an organization’s staff time. Staff time (salaries and benefits) should not exceed 30% of the application’s budget.
GrantWatch ID#: 180241
Grants range from $5,000 to $10,000.
Funding period is November 9, 2017 to November 12, 2018.
Applications must come from current 501(c)(3) community benefit organizations that are registered with or exempt from the PA Bureau of Charitable Organizations. Community Foundation staff will verify these requirements utilizing Guidestar and other online resources.
Organizations will also be required to submit:
- Audited or reviewed (not compiled, not a 990) financial statement prepared by an independent CPA firm within 12 months
- A current board of director’s roster
- A current fiscal year organizational budget
- A project budget
The Community Foundation will not typically fund the following:
- Creation of new organization
- Capital campaigns/capital costs (equipment, building costs, maintenance)
- Political campaigns
- Expenses incurred before the grant is awarded
- Cemetery associations
- Religious causes that further a specific belief/agenda
Projects must benefit residents of Lancaster County, PA. Organizations are not eligible to receive grants from the Capacity Building Fund for more than three consecutive years. Organizations are limited to submitting one (1) Capacity Building application per year, and the Community Foundation will accept only one application, regardless of the year it was submitted, per project concept.
Applicants are encouraged to have a conversation with Fran Rodriguez prior to submitting an application.
Community Foundation staff will review and comment on application drafts submitted by September 7, 2017. Application drafts should be submitted through the grant portal. Drafts that are saved, but not submitted, will not be considered for feedback.
On or before September 14, 2017, staff will issue comments and revert your application back to “draft” status. You then can make revisions and re-submit by the final deadline of September 21, 2017. Award notification will be by phone or email, November 9, 2017.
July 20, 2017 – July 20, 2018 (2nd Cycle) or November 9, 2017 – November 12, 2018 (4th Cycle).
Staff Feedback on Application Drafts: Community Foundation staff will review and comment on application drafts submitted by May 4 (2nd Cycle) or September 7 (4th Cycle).
Final Application Deadlines:
May 18, 11:59 pm, (2nd Cycle) or September 21, 11:59 pm (4th Cycle).
By phone or email, July 20 (2nd Cycle) or November 9 (4th Cycle).
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
397-1629, ext. 115
Email contact page:
Lancaster County Community Foundation
24 W King Street, Suite 201
Lancaster, PA 17603
USA: Pennsylvania: Lancaster County