Foundation / Corporation
Kelly Brush Foundation (KBF)
Grants of up to $5,000 to USA individuals with paralysis due to a spinal cord injury to cover the costs of purchasing adaptive sports equipment. These grants are intended to foster inclusion in sports and recreation activities for individuals with paralysis, and to help such individuals overcome the barriers of paralysis.
Applicants may receive either a full or partial award to purchase sports equipment or a “Try It First” Grant – an award of $500 to go towards program or rental fees at an adaptive sports program to gain experience with the equipment applied for.
Note: The Fund only pays reputable adaptive sports equipment vendors directly. The Fund does not provide funding to the grant recipient or reimburse for equipment already purchased.
Applicants may apply for any piece of sports or recreation equipment specifically designed for people with disabilities that allow an applicant to be active.
The Fund gives preference to equipment that provides some fitness benefit. The Fund does, however, consider applications for power equipment where the applicant can persuasively explain why that type of equipment is the best and most appropriate piece of equipment for him/her to live an active lifestyle.
Eligible types of equipment include:
- Handcycle (Road)
- Handcycle (Offroad)
- Basketball Chair
- Rugby Chair
- Tennis Chair
- Racing Chair
- Hockey Sled
- All-terrain Chair
Thus far, the Fund has helped over 600 people from 47 states purchase handcycles, monoskis, sport chairs, racing chairs, hockey sleds, and much more.
GrantWatch ID#: 180260
While the Fund does not have a minimum or maximum award amount, grants rarely exceed $5,000, and the average grant is generally around $2,500.
Applicants may receive a "Try It First” Grant of $500 to go towards program or rental fees at an adaptive sports program to gain experience with the equipment applied for.
Individuals with paralysis caused by spinal cord injury who reside in the USA are eligible.
The Fund has limited the scope of who is eligible for the coming grant cycle and those in the foreseeable future to individuals with paralysis caused by spinal cord injuries only. Other conditions are not eligible for this grant program, including spina bifida, transverse myelitis, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, post-polio, Guillain-Barre´ Strohl Syndrome, ALS, all other neuropathies, and all other conditions causing disability.
The Fund will not consider applications for:
- Non-adaptive sports equipment such as standard bicycles, skis/boots/poles, automotive equipment, etc.
- Accessory upgrades (such as wheelsets)
- Everyday wheelchairs
- FES equipment
- Motorized wheelchair attachments
- Indoor exercise equipment such as trainers (for handcycles), gym equipment, stationary bikes or rowing machines
- All other non-adaptive equipment
Quotes that include accessories such as sport computers, tee shirts, premium wheelsets, and other accessories will be reduced by the amount of such accessories when considered by the Grants Committee.
Click on the link in the Supporting Documents section below to download the guidelines.
Application Opens - January 18, 2018
Application Deadline - March 18, 2018
Applicants Notified - End of April 2018
Application Opens - July 16, 2018
Application Deadline - September 16, 2018
Applicants Notified - End of October 2018
- The applicant must fill out the application form unless the applicant is younger than the age of 13 or the applicant’s disability prevents the use of a computer. Regardless, the applicant must contribute and consent to all answers.
- All components of an application must be received by the deadline, including any materials such as financial documentation that must be mailed or emailed.
- If you have previously received a grant from the Kelly Brush Foundation, you cannot apply for another 2 years. This does not apply for “Try It First” grant recipients, who are eligible the following cycle.
- If you have previously been denied by the Kelly Brush Foundation, you may reapply at any time, paying special attention to improve upon the reason for denial.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://kellybrushfoundation.org/theactivefund/application/
If you have any questions about the Active Fund application not included in these Guidelines, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 802-846-5298.
Note: If you have any questions about the change in eligibility focus for 2018 (paralysis caused by spinal cord injury only), please reach out directly to Zeke Davisson, Executive Director, at email@example.com.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming