Foundation / Corporation
Foodservice Packaging Institute (FPI)
Grants of up to $50,000 to USA and Canada nonprofits and businesses to start or enhance polystyrene foam recycling programs. Both residential curbside recycling programs and material recovery facilities are eligible for funding. This program targets post-consumer foam polystyrene products, which includes foodservice packaging materials and other types of packaging, such as egg cartons, meat trays, and protective packaging.
Selections will be based on a number of variables, such as capacity, number of households served and level of funding available. Please note that applications that rate highly and are likely to be considered for funding include:
- 50,000 households or more served
- MRF application of foam densifier (in a single-stream or dual-stream MRF)
- Residential curbside collection of post-consumer foam, as well as possible commercial collection
- Well-defined end markets
- Detailed project planning timeline
- Multifaceted outreach plan
- Comprehensive budget
- Thorough supporting documentation (i.e., equipment quote)
GrantWatch ID#: 180261
Funding amounts will be made on a case-by-case basis and will be dependent on equipment needs. The maximum amount per grant is $50,000.
The term of the contract will be three years.
Public and private entities in the U.S. and/or Canada that engage in any of the following activities are eligible to apply for the FRC grant:
- Operate a material recovery facility
- Manage residential curbside recycling programs
- Manage drop-off or convenience site recycling programs
In addition, qualified entrants must be ready/able to:
- Accept post-consumer foam polystyrene* for recycling. Programs that already accept foam polystyrene but that would like to expand their acceptance of foam polystyrene will also be considered.
- Invest in the required equipment to collect and process foam polystyrene for recycling. Funding is contingent on the successful implementation of the plan within 6 months of the grant commitment.
- Communicate the addition of foam polystyrene* to current program directly to households and incorporate acceptance of foam polystyrene into its regular communications/educational materials.
- Report on volumes of foam polystyrene* collected, processed and marketed.
- Commit to collecting, processing, and marketing foam polystyrene* for 3 years.
*Includes post-consumer foodservice packaging, egg cartons, and meat trays; may also include protective packaging
Grant recipients will be required to sign a contract detailing the planning, equipment ordering, delivery, installation, and start-up of the system, as well as associated education, outreach, and data gathering related to foam polystyrene recycling.
The 2018 grant application window opens June 1, 2018 and closes July 31, 2018. Grant award winners notified by early September. Applications received after the due date may be considered.
No cash match is required, but additional costs by the grantee may be incurred for related items such as site preparation, provision of conveying system and electrical infrastructure, freight, and other installation costs.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Foodservice Packaging Institute
7700 Leesburg Pike, Suite 421
Falls Church, VA 22043
Phone: (703) 592-9889
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon