Foundation / Corporation
Grants starting at $2,500 to USA, Ontario, Puerto Rico, and International nonprofit organizations to positively impact communities where the funding source has a business presence. Eligible USA communities are located in California, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Tennessee, and Texas. Priority is given to organizations located in Louisville, Kentucky and its surrounding areas.
The Foundation collaborates with a variety of mission driven organizations focused on enhancing intellectual and cultural living, ensuring essential living standards, and empowering responsible and sustainable living. Community engagement provides professional development for the Foundation's employees and is a means to attract, retain, and engage exceptional talent. It also builds goodwill and engages consumers with the Foundation's brands through nonprofit event sponsorships. This approach to community relations reinforces Brown-Forman’s culture of caring in ways that reflect the values of its stakeholders and company.
Brown-Forman partners with nonprofit organizations that are aligned with their strategic focus areas:
Enhance Intellectual and Cultural Living:
- Increase access to vibrant, diverse, and educational arts and cultural experiences.
- Fund education initiatives that provide opportunities for lifelong success.
Ensure Essential Living Standards:
- Support social services that improve well-being and strengthen communities.
- Improve the quality of life in the Foundation's headquarters’ home of West Louisville.
Empower Responsible and Sustainable Living:
- Invest in initiatives that encourage moderation and reduce alcohol-related harm.
- Protect the environment and conserve natural resources vital to the communities and business.
Proposals must provide a sound basis of measurement toward project goals and outcomes.
Types of grant requests that the committee will consider include:
- Operating support (Unrestricted)
- Program or project support (Restricted)
- Event or performance sponsorship
- Scholarship programs
- Multi-year requests of over $25,000
- Capital support – requests for capital support that meet the following criteria will be considered on a case-by-case basis: Project alignment with Brown-Forman’s strategic focus areas and grant guidelines
History of Brown-Forman support; significant community financial support; clear evidence that the project goals are achievable.
GrantWatch ID#: 180321
Preferential consideration will be given to requests of $2,500 or more. The committee will consider multi-year requests of over $25,000.
The committee will consider multi-year requests.
The organization (or fiscal sponsor) must be tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and operated exclusively for charitable, scientific, or educational purposes.
Brown-Forman USA locations include:
-California: Newport Beach, Pleasanton, San Rafael, and Windsor
-Florida: Coral Gables
-Kentucky: Louisville and Versailles
-New York: Hauppauge
-Tennessee: Lynchburg, Nashville, and Waynesboro
-Texas: Dallas and Irving
-Puerto Rico: Guaynabo
Brown-Forman International locations include:
-China: Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Shenzhen
-India: Gurgaon and Haryana
-Indonesia: Bali, Jakarta Selatan, and Surabaya
-South Korea: Busan and Seoul
-Taiwan: Kaohsiung, Taichung, and Taipei
-Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City
-South Africa: Cape Town
-Australia, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney
-Czech Republic: Prague
-Finland: Helsink and Iimajoki
-France: Cour-Cheverny, Loire Valley, and Paris,
-Ireland: Dublin and Siane
-Spain: Alcobendas and Barcelona
-United Kingdom: London
-Mexico: Amatitán, Guadalajara, Huexotitla, Leon, Mexico City, Monterrey, Tlalnepantla
-Puerto Rico: Guaynabo
-Brazil: Sao Paulo
Requests for salary support, travel expenses, and consultant fees will not be considered.
The following organizations are specifically excluded from receiving grants:
- Religious organizations such as churches and synagogues
- Political or lobbying organizations or those supporting the candidacy of a particular individual
- Third parties seeking donations on behalf of nonprofit organizations – donations must be made directly to a nonprofit rather than, for example, to a business partner making a request on behalf of an organization
- Individuals, public schools (K-12), group tours, athletic teams or leagues
- Organizations that lack non-discrimination policies or have a history of discriminating on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status
- Past grantees that have failed to provide a completed grant agreement, grant report, or other required documentation
Online Grant Application Submission Deadlines – May 1, July 1, October 1, February 1.
The Summer grant cycle is now open. Please note that the submission deadline is May 1, 2018. Submitted applications will be reviewed in June 2018.
The Annual and Major Gifts Committees meet quarterly to review applications and make funding decisions. Notification on the Committee’s funding decision will be communicated by mail or email following the review meeting. Review meetings typically occur 30-90 days following the submission deadlines.
Organizations may apply once each fiscal year, using the same quarterly submission deadline each year. Multiple requests may be included in the application. An application should be submitted a minimum of three months before the start date of your project or event.
Organizations located outside of Louisville, Kentucky should contact Karen Krinock for information regarding Brown-Forman’s global giving process.
Questions about the process or issues with the online portal should be directed to Carly Launius.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Asia: Beijing, China; Hong Kong, China; Shanghai, China; Shenzhen, China; Gurgaon, India; Haryana, India; Bali, Indonesia; Jakarta Selatan, Indonesia; Surabaya, Indonesia;Tokyo, Japan; Singapore; Busan, South Korea; Seoul, South Korea; Kaohsiung, Taiwan; Taichung, Taiwan; Taipei, Taiwan; Bangkok, Thailand; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Africa: Cape Town, Africa
Australia: Adelaide, Australia; Brisbane, Australia; Melbourne, Australia; Perth, Australia; Sydney, Australia
Europe: Sofia, Bulgaria; Prague, Czech Republic; Helsinki, Finland; Iimajoki, Finland; Cour-Cheverny, France; Loire Valley, France; Paris, France; Hamburg, Germany; Athens, Greece; Dublin, Ireland; Slane, Ireland; Milan, Italy; Warsaw, Poland; Bucharest, Romania; Moscow, Russia; Belgrade, Serbia; Ljubijana, Slovenia; Alcobendas, Spain; Barcelona, Spain; Istanbul, Turkey; Kiev, Ukraine; London, United Kingdom; Amsterdam, Netherlands
Middle East: Dubai, UAE
South America: Sao Paulo, Brazil
North America: Amatitán, Mexico; Guadalajara, Mexico; Huexotitla, Mexico; Leon, Mexico; Mexico City, Mexico; Monterrey, Mexico; Tlalnepantla, Mexico; Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
USA: California: Newport Beach, Pleasanton, San Rafael, and Windsor; Florida: Coral Gables; Georgia: Atlanta; Kentucky: Louisville and Versailles; Maryland: Baltimore; Massachusetts: Braintree; New York: Hauppauge; Ohio: Jackson; Tennessee: Lynchburg, Nashville, and Waynesboro; Texas: Dallas and Irving
USA Territories: Puerto Rico (USA)
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.