Arizona Commission on the Arts
01/31/19 11:59 PM
Grants ranging from $500 to $750 to Arizona artists, arts educators, and arts administrators for activities that contribute to career development and professional growth. Funding can only be used for registration, lodging, and transportation costs.
Learning activities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Participation in conferences or symposia
- Artist residencies
- Workshops, institutes, fellowships.
Learning activities must be structured and documentable. Applicants must make a compelling case as to why a particular self-identified learning activity was selected and how it will have a substantial impact on their work and/or community.
GrantWatch ID#: 180617
Applicants may request a minimum of $500 and a maximum of $750.
- Cycle A: For activities between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019.
- Cycle B: For activities between November 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019.
- Cycle C: For activities between March 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019.
Activities may extend beyond the cycle end date, with the exception of Cycle C; grant funds cannot be used for activities taking place after the end of the fiscal year.
Professional Development Grants are awarded to individual artists, arts administrators, and arts educators. At the time an application is submitted and the grant is awarded, an applicant must be:
- 18 years of age or older.
- A resident of Arizona.
Full-time faculty at a college or university are not eligible to apply. Adjunct faculty are eligible to apply.
Applicants who failed to submit a Final Report for a previously funded PDG are not eligible to apply.
This program does not fund the following:
- Expenses other than activity registration, transportation, and lodging (e.g. per diem, materials, supplies, etc.)
- Academic degree or certificate programs.
- Academic research or research contributing to a student’s academic thesis or coursework.
- Self-presenting activities, such as marketing/promotion or support for an exhibition, reading, manuscript, performance, film, etc.
- Activities solely related to the advancement of a specific project.
- Activities for which an applicant is only presenting or lecturing. *
This list is not comprehensive.
* Activities for which an applicant is presenting or lecturing as a part of a larger “professional development and skills building activity” are eligible provided the applicant makes a strong case for his/her potential for learning as a part of a larger activity.
Additionally, according to the Arts Commission’s enabling statutes, “Notwithstanding any other law, no monies from the Arizona Commission on the Arts may be spent for payment to any person or entity for use in desecrating, casting contempt on, mutilating, defacing, defiling, burning, trampling or otherwise dishonoring or causing to bring dishonor on religious objects, the flag of the United States or the flag of this state.” Recipients of Arts Commission support are further instructed to “take into consideration general standards of decency and respect for the diverse beliefs and values of the American public” within funded programs.
The grant application period for Professional Development Grants is now open. The Cycle A application deadline is 11:59pm Thursday, May 31, 2018. Applications will be reviewed within approximately 4 weeks of each deadline and applicants will be notified of their status shortly thereafter.
Please thoroughly review the grant guidelines attached below before applying.
Payment will be made to an individual and not to an organization or group. The recipient is responsible for any associated taxes. An individual may receive only one PDG award every two (2) fiscal years. Only one staff member of an arts organization or school may receive a PDG within the same fiscal year (July 1 through June 30 of the following year).
Cycle A Application Deadline: 11:59pm Thursday, May 31, 2018.
For activities between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019.
Cycle B Application Deadline: 11:59pm Thursday, September 6, 2018.
For activities between November 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019.
Cycle C Application Deadline: 11:59pm Thursday, January 31, 2019.
For activities between March 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019.
Grant seeker resources: http://azarts.gov/grants/resources-for-grant-applicants/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://azarts.submittable.com/submit/112265/pdg19-fiscal-year-2019-professional-development-grant
Submittable Technical Support
Phone: (855) 467-8264, ext. 2
Brad DeBiase, Programs and Grants Coordinator
Arizona Commission on the Arts
417 West Roosevelt Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85003-1326