Foundation / Corporation
United Way of Central Alabama (UWCA)
Grants of up to $10,000 to Central Alabama nonprofit organizations for collaborative programs in the areas of health, education, and financial stability. Funding is intended to provide short-term planning, seed, or start-up funds to lay the ground work for the successful achievement of goals.
For the purpose of these grants, Central Alabama includes Blount, Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, and Walker counties.
Funding will be provided to support the following priority groups and action networks currently operating in Central Alabama:
- Advancing Health Equity-Jefferson County
- Improving Mental Health-Jefferson County
- Optimizing Health Care-Jefferson County
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles-Jefferson County
- Improving the Built Environment, Transportation, and Safety-Jefferson County
- Livable Communities-Walker County
- Healthy People: School-Based-Walker County
- Healthy People: Faith-Based-Walker County
- Early Learning Action Network
- 3rd Grade Reading Action Network
- Birmingham City Schools Action Network
- FAFSA Action Network
3. Financial Stability:
- Financial Services Network
Grant funding can support:
- Staff time, salary and benefit support
- Execution of programs
- Capacity building activities: convening, speaker engagements, visibility efforts for specific initiatives
- Production of materials
GrantWatch ID#: 180707
Award amounts are limited to $10,000 or less.
The grant period will begin July 1, 2018. The maximum project term is six months or less.
Applicants must be either public entities or nonprofit organizations that are tax exempt.
Funding opportunity is only available to priority groups/action networks in Central Alabama (Blount, Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, or Walker County).
Funding will be directed towards collaborative projects that emerge from the work of organizations currently participating in the Bold Goals Coalition of Central Alabama. Organizations that do not currently participate in Coalition activities are ineligible to apply.
Grants cannot be used to support:
- Fundraising activities
Applicants interested in pursuing any opportunity should contact a UWCA representative and are highly encouraged to contact the Vice President of the respective impact area for which they intend to apply.
Applications for the Advancement Fund grant opportunities must be submitted via the UWCA online system.
Deadlines for submissions will be on a semi-annual basis.
- Spring Application Deadline: April 1
- Fall Application Deadline: October 1
- Applicant notification letters will be mailed in December and June of each year.
- Grant periods will begin in January and July of each year.
Click on the link in the Supporting Documents section below to download the grant guidelines.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register to apply: https://agencytools.unitedwayeservice.org/eservices/account_setup.php
Once your account has been set up, you may log in to access the applications: https://uweb1.unitedwayeservice.org/crm/Start.jsp
Impact Area Vice Presidents
- Health: Kadie Peters, (205) 458-2168
- Education: Dan Stephens (205) 458-2169
- Financial Stability: Randy Betsch (205) 458-2171
USA: Alabama: Blount, Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, and Walker counties