Foundation / Corporation
Grants of $500 to Texas nonprofit organizations, agencies, and schools to assemble youth nutrition advisory boards on school campuses. The purpose of this grant is to promote healthy choices, mentor younger students, and foster a healthy campus environment. A school sponsor is required to oversee this group of students and submit the grant application.
The initial Teen Advisory Board will be a body of diverse students that value health and fitness and are leaders on their campus and in the community. It is recommended that the initial TB be no more than 8-10 students, ages 13-18.
The initial group of students must maintain acceptable scholastic reports (GPA to be determined by campus guidelines), be free of alcohol, drugs, tobacco and be role models for children. Initial members can volunteer for membership or be recommended by administration or campus staff. These students will apply to be a member of the TB and go through the interview process.
Oliver Foundation Staff and/or Teen Board Members will assist in interviewing the initial members and teach interviewing skills. Officers will be elected from this initial group of students. Additional members will be required to apply for a position on the board and go through the interview process. The Oliver Foundation Staff and TB members will be available to assist in this interview process.
Projects are selected based on:
- Focus on prevention of childhood obesity, mentoring students and participating in community service activities that implement the Oliver Foundation's seven healthy messages.
- Meet a clear, identifiable need
- Operational strength of the applicant organization, including project leadership
- Sustainable impact of the overall program.
- TB Members will meet a minimum of once a month.
- TB Members will advocate for healthy changes on their campus.
- TB Members will mentor younger students (Elementary and Middle School students in feeder pattern schools)
- TB will perform community service events 2-3 times per school year
The Oliver Foundation is an operating foundation and thus will provide support and on-site visits during the grant period.
GrantWatch ID#: 180832
Teen Advisory Board grants are available for middle and high school students who are interested in forming a Teen Advisory Board (TB) on their campus.
Grants will be awarded to Texas nonprofit organizations, agencies, and schools that demonstrate the greatest need and likelihood of a sustainable impact on children's nutrition and activity levels through mentoring and innovative community service programs.
Funding will not be provided to support the following:
- Organizations that practice discrimination by race, color, creed, sex, age or national origin
-Contributions to capital campaigns
- Operating deficits or retirement of debt
- Endowment programs
- Construction projects or real estate acquisitions
- Political projects of any kind
- Vehicles, such as vans or buses
- Emergency medical services equipment
- Clothing or uniforms for specific groups
- Personnel Salaries
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Deadlines are April 15, July 15, and October 15.
You will be notified of the grant status 15 days after due date.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Scroll down to complete the electronic application form:
5535 Memorial Dr. Ste F, #256
Houston, Texas 77007