Foundation / Corporation
The American Playwriting Foundation
Award of $45,000 and professional development opportunities to a USA playwright in recognition of an unproduced new play that is unique, truthful, and fearless. Applications are encouraged from playwrights of color, first-time playwrights, and playwrights of diverse gender identifications. Funding is intended for unproduced plays that are not mainstream and that demonstrate passion and truthfulness.
The Foundation is looking for:
- Plays that are challenging.
- Plays that exhibit fearlessness.
- Plays that are not mainstream.
- Plays that exude passion.
- Plays that are relentlessly truthful.
GrantWatch ID#: 180988
- The author of the Relentless Award-winning play will receive $45,000.
- The winning playwright will have a week-long residency at SPACE on Ryder Farm, an artist residency program housed on a working organic farm in Brewster, New York.
- The Relentless Winning play, along with Finalists and Semifinalists, will receive development opportunities through the Ed Vassallo Relentless Reading Series, a series of staged readings at some of the top theaters across the United States.
- Play must be unproduced.
- Authors must have either United States citizenship, possess a green card, or currently reside in the United States and have lived here for at least four years.
- Plays with a producer, producing organization, or theater attached for future production are not eligible.
- One-act plays, musicals, and plays for children are not eligible.
- The author must be at least 21 years old.
Submissions will be accepted from May 1, 2019 – June 15, 2019. Please follow the link (via Submittable) to submit your play.
Once you submit, you'll receive email confirmation that your script and accompanying materials have been received. Please allow some time for this confirmation to arrive, as submissions are processed manually. Semifinalists are contacted directly in the fall of 2019. If your play is not advancing past the semifinalist level, you will receive a form letter with notification prior to award announcements. The APF does not provide script feedback.
Playwrights must limit their submissions to one script per year.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online via the form at: https://americanplaywritingfoundation.submittable.com/submit
If you're unsure whether your play received a full production, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and the American Playwriting Foundation staff will determine whether the script is eligible.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming