Montana Department of Agriculture (MDA)
11/01/19 2:00 PM MST
Grants of up to $50,000 to Montana nonprofit organizations and loans to local governments, educational institutions, businesses and industry organizations, and individuals to diversify and strengthen the state’s agricultural industry. Funding is intended for the development of innovative agricultural business organizational improvements and the commercialization and marketing of new agricultural products in order to keep pace with a transforming agricultural industry and to create new jobs and expand small business opportunities.
Projects should primarily add value to Montana’s agricultural products, have prospects for achieving commercial success given the current personnel, experience, and resources of the applicant and have the possibility to create and/or retain jobs in Montana.
Examples of project activities include, but are not limited to:
- Equipment purchases
- Advertising and promotion
- Consultant services such as engineering costs
Generally, to qualify for consideration, proposals must have practical, near-term application involving new or alternative technologies, practices or organizational arrangements that will stimulate expanded agricultural development, economic activity, and employment growth.
Types of Awards:
The Council determines which projects to fund, and may elect to fund a project through grants or loans.
1. A grant is an award of money without the expectation that the funds will be repaid. Security provisions are required and are structured on an individual case basis.
2. A loan is an award of money with the expectation that the money will be repaid. The Council has the option to defer interest and/or payments for loans. Loans may be repaid over a period of up to eight years. Security provisions are required and are structured on an individual case basis.
General Criteria for Funding:
The Council may make a grant or loan if it determines that the project is consistent with the goals of the Growth Through Agriculture Act and:
1) Primarily adds value to Montana’s agricultural products,
2) Has the prospects for commercial success given current personnel, experience, and resources of the applicant,
3) Has the prospects to create and/or retain jobs in Montana,
4) Primarily processes or adds value to Montana’s agricultural products currently produced or potentially produced in the state, and
5) Has the management structure to allow the Agriculture Development Council to reasonably conclude that the applicant will comply with ongoing reporting and monitoring activities.
Eligible costs under the GTA program include, but are not limited to:
- Consultant Services (professional, technical, operational)
- Advertising and Promotion
- Supplies and Materials
- Communication (telephone, postage, printing, etc.)
- Data Processing
GrantWatch ID#: 181132
The maximum funding is $150,000 made up of:
- Up to $50,000 in the form of grant funding
- Up to $100,000 in the form of loan funding
The average award amount for the last 3 years has been $20,000 - $35,000.
- Project Start Date: 11/01/2019
- Project End Date: 07/31/2022
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
Complete the Credit Check Release form and submit by fax, secure transfer, or mail to:
Montana Department of Agriculture
P.O. Box 200201
Helena, Montana 59620-0201
or send via secure electronic file transfer: https://transfer.mt.gov
Refer Any Questions to:
Montana Growth Through Agriculture Program
Montana Department of Agriculture
PO Box 200201
Helena, MT 59620-0201