Foundation / Corporation
Hampton Roads Community Foundation
07/01/19 5:00 PM EST - For Economic Stability and Health and Wellness Grants Only
Grants to South Hampton Roads, Virginia nonprofit organizations for programming, seed funding, and capital support. Focus areas include culture, health and wellness, economic stability, education, and environment.
The following grants are available at specific times of the year:
Community Grants for Cultural Vitality support programs offering hands-on arts and cultural experiences for area children. The goal is to help the educational, social or emotional well-being of youth through arts and culture. Programs should be available to all area youth regardless of ability to pay. Programs should aim to increase participation of youth from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
Community Grants for Economic Stability focus on providing opportunities for vulnerable people to become stable, self-sufficient, and prosperous. Programs should address:
- Ending homelessness in the region with a preference for programs that provide safe and affordable housing for individuals and/or families and provide supportive services to ensure housing stability.
- Workforce readiness training/certification acquisition and connection of low-income individuals to employment. Preference is given for programs that offer supports to help the individual remain employed for at least one year.
- Development of sound financial education and savings programs to help low-income individuals build financial assets for long-term economic well-being.
Community Grants for Educational Success strive to improve educational achievement of under-performing children and youth from the region. They encourage growth through opportunities for all students to excel in their educational pursuits and meet the region's current and future workforce demands.
Community Grants for Health and Wellness focus on improving the health of the region's citizens. Efforts supported include:
- Programs that support participant access to primary, dental, and/or mental/behavioral health. Behavioral health includes substance/drug abuse treatment.
- Sustained programs that encourage healthy behaviors that are known to reduce chronic diseases (e.g. Type II diabetes, heart disease, and lung disease) in populations that typically have a high rate of health disparity. Preference will be given to programs that place an emphasis on improving participants’ health literacy.
Community Grants for the Environmental Stewardship focus on programs that educate youth in grades 3 through 12 about Hampton Roads waterways' health and the impact of sea level rise on our region. Programs should be sustained efforts that:
- Provide hands-on outdoor experiences
- Include education on environmental issues related to the water-based region, and
- Offer the opportunity for youth to develop and implement an action plan around watershed preservation and restoration.
Community Grants for Vibrant Places support major capital projects and campaigns that are transformative for the organization and the communities it serves. Organizations requesting Vibrant Places facilities grants should support one of the areas above. Proposals must:
- Demonstrate that your project is conducive to your organization’s mission and is part of a strategic plan for your organization.
- Show how this project will enhance your organization’s or coalition’s ability to help those it serves through new services, assisting additional clients or increasing effectiveness
- Demonstrate diversified funding sources, including board contributions and broad-based local support
GrantWatch ID#: 181385
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
For questions email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Sarah Ellis at (757) 622-7951.
USA: Virginia: South Hampton Roads in southeastern Virginia. Primarily in the cities of Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk and Virginia Beach as well as Franklin, Isle of Wight County and Accomack and Northampton counties on the Eastern Shore of Virginia.