Foundation / Corporation
United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) and BMW Group
05/31/19 5:00 PM EDT (New York City time)
Grants and in-kind support to USA, Canada, and International nonprofit organizations and local branches of government for innovative projects that foster intercultural understanding and dialogue. Awards are granted to organizations around the world that seek to grow their range of action within a broad range of social and cultural issues.
The Intercultural Innovation Award is a partnership between the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) and the BMW Group that selects and supports the most innovative grassroots projects that encourage intercultural dialogue and work toward a more peaceful and socially inclusive world by building mutual respect among peoples of different cultural and religious identities, rejecting violent extremism and embracing diversity.
Projects submitted by applying organizations must implement new approaches and methods to intercultural understanding. Examples of eligible projects include projects in the fields of combating xenophobia, education for global citizenship, interfaith dialogue, migration and integration, prevention of violent extremism, as well as initiatives addressing the needs of specific groups in promoting intercultural understanding (e.g. faith-based, youth, women, media, etc.). The main objective of the Award is to identify and support innovative projects that are already being implemented and have potential for expansion and replication. The award is given to help organizations sustainably expand and adapt their projects to other contexts.
Awarded recipients will receive support in the form of financial grants and capacity building, consisting of the following:
- Funding (see Prize Levels in Estimated Size of Grant below)
- Training and Capacity Building: Two multi-day capacity building workshops, a series of webinars, and other training opportunities.
- Customized Support and Mentoring: Active support and consulting from UNAOC and the BMW Group in order to help awardees become more efficient and to expand, as well as enable their transfer to other contexts or settings.
- Recognition and Visibility: Awarded organizations will be invited to participate in an award ceremony in the presence of government officials, media and civil society organizations. Awardees might also be invited to participate in regional or global events.
- Intercultural Leaders Membership: Awardees will become members of “Intercultural Leaders”, a project of UNAOC in partnership with the BMW Group. (Alumni of the IIA will still benefit from their Intercultural Leaders membership.)
For further details on each of these benefit areas, see https://interculturalinnovation.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/iia-application-guidelines-2019-v1.pdf#page=3.
GrantWatch ID#: 181411
The Intercultural Innovation Award is bestowed upon ten organizations.
Awarded recipients will receive support in the form of financial grants and capacity building. Funding Prize Levels (USD) are as follows:
- 1st Prize: $40,000
- 2nd Prize: $20,000
- 3rd Prize: $15,000
- 4th Prize: $8,000
- 5th Prize: $5,000
- 6th - 10th Prize: $2,500
See Description above for details about capacity building and in-kind support to be received by recipient organizations.
- Awardees receive one year of support and mentoring from UNAOC and the BMW Group.
- Projects submitted within this call should have been launched for at least 12 months by April 2019 (i.e. projects submitted must have started on April 2018 or earlier).
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal: https://interculturalinnovation.org/the-award/application-process/
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Intercultural Innovation Award
70 Third Avenue, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10017 USA
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.