City of Whitehorse
02/15/19 4:30 PM - Major Grants; Minor Grants may be submitted throughout the year.
Grants of up to $1,000 and grants starting at $1,000 to Whitehorse, Yukon schools, registered societies, and local businesses for environmental projects and initiatives that benefit local residents. Preference will be given to projects that demonstrate some or all of the following elements:
(1) The project or event is located within the City of Whitehorse;
(2) The project or event is identified as a priority under the Whitehorse Sustainability Plan and other strategic documents;
(3) The project or event is of environmental benefit to the City and its residents;
(4) The project or event does not duplicate existing programs in the public or private sector;
(5) The project or event demonstrates partnership in the community;
(6) The project or event demonstrates environmental leadership.
Applications whose projects meet the following requirements will be considered for funding:
(1) The project contributes to the goals of the Whitehorse Sustainability Plan as amended from time to time;
(2) The majority of project beneficiaries or participants reside in the City of Whitehorse;
(3) The project will take place within the City of Whitehorse accessible the public; and
(4) The project does not duplicate programs in the public or private sector
Eligible Expenses shall be directly related to the project and may include:
(1) Equipment and supplies required to complete the project (rental/purchase);
(2) Human resources, except those listed under section 9.1.7. Honoraria may be reimbursed to a maximum of $175.00 per day;
(3) Printing (brochures, educational material, etc.);
(4) Project advertising (radio, newspaper, signage, banners, etc.);
(5) Facility rental fees for special events; and
(6) Airfare, accommodation and meal costs for instructors and presenters in Whitehorse:
(a) Meal costs to a maximum of $64.00 per person per day;
(b) Airfare to a maximum of $500 per person.
GrantWatch ID#: 181537
-Major Grants: $1,000 or more
-Minor Grants: Under $1,000
Recipients must return to the City any unused funds within two calendar months of the Accountability Statement and Final Report deadline.
The objective of the Environmental Grant Policy is to frame a grant program that support projects of three main groups within the City of Whitehorse:
- Societies currently registered under the Yukon Societies Act;
- Commercial Organizations: entities that undertake activities for the purpose of profit or gain with a valid City of Whitehorse business license; and
- Schools located in Whitehorse.
Joint applications are acceptable; however the applicants must identify one group that will be responsible for the finances and accountability.
Applicants must have a Whitehorse mailing address and a Yukon bank account.
Applicants may receive no more than one grant per calendar year.
Grants support organizations in undertaking projects that benefit Whitehorse and its citizens.
Ineligible Applicants: Any group that is overdue on money or obligations owed to the City, including outstanding Accountability Statements for this or other City grants, is not eligible to apply.
Commercial Organizations: Projects proposed by commercial organizations must benefit the wider community.
Expenses not eligible for funding shall include:
(1) Fundraising events;
(2) Costumes, props and personal care products;
(3) Computer hardware, software and internet access;
(4) Office furniture and equipment;
(5) Costs related to keeping an office (space rental, phone and fax bills, heating, electrical bills): this includes expenses that would normally be defined as ongoing operational expense;
(6) Medals, crests, uniforms;
(7) Ongoing staff wages;
(8) Fees payable to the City, such as registration fees, taxes, and facility rental;
(9) Gifts and draw prizes;
(10) Retroactive funding for projects already completed; and
(11) Costs incurred prior to the application being received by the Environmental Coordinator or designate
Major Grant applications will be received twice a year on February 15 and October 15.
All Major Grant applications must be received by the City prior to 16:30 on the deadline date. If the application deadline occurs on a non-business day, the application deadline shall be 16:30 on the next business day.
Minor Grant applications will be accepted from January 1 to November 15. Any Minor Grant applications received within 3 weeks prior to a Major Grant deadline will be evaluated with Major Grant applications received at the deadline.
Before you start your application:
1. Read the Environmental Grant Policy. It contains important information about eligibility and procedures. See Supporting Documents below.
2. Read the Whitehorse Sustainability Plan: http://www.whitehorse.ca/departments/environmental-sustainability/whitehorse-sustainability-plan. Your application should demonstrate how your project will contribute to meeting the objectives and goals of this plan.
3. Look at the list of past projects. The Environmental Fund has supported many community projects over the years. This list will give you an idea of the types of projects that have been funded, and the value of the funding. See Supporting Documents below.
4. Contact the City of Whitehorse Environmental Coordinator to discuss your application and ideas. It is strongly suggested that you discuss your project before submitting an application.
Projects whose equipment or capital costs are $1,000 or more must also provide matching funding. The maximum request from the City is 50% of the equipment cost.
Applicants will be notified in writing by the Department as to their status, within six weeks of the application deadline for Major Grants, and within 3 weeks of an application being deemed complete for Minor Grants.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tel: (867) 668-8652
Office Location: 4210 Fourth Avenue, Whitehorse, second floor
City of Whitehorse