Foundation / Corporation
Big Lots Foundation
07/01/19 Midnight PST
Grants and in-kind donations to USA nonprofits in eligible states for programs that will enhance the lives of children and families. Funding may be awarded to programs in the areas of hunger, housing, healthcare, and education. Priority will be given to programs serving women and children.
All programs should take place in an area where the funding source operates. Support is provided in the form of monetary gifts, gift cards, and merchandise in-kind. Significant partnership projects and capital requests are by invitation only.
The Foundation accepts requests for organizations affecting:
For additional information on focus areas, see page 1 of the Guidelines in Supporting Documents below.
Priority is given to projects that:
- Have a Big Lots associate involved as a board member, board committee member, or key volunteer;
- Support needy families, helping them transition from poverty to self-sufficiency;
- Come from organizations with strong fiscal management and board member commitment and involvement
Gifts outside of these criteria are considered on a case-by-case basis, such as grant awards for environmental causes, diversity, or the arts.
Because demand for in-kind donations outweighs our resources, we will consider a limited number of donation requests for auctions, fundraising raffle items, or bulk merchandise donations to eligible nonprofit partners that directly serve neighbors in need.
GrantWatch ID#: 181811
To be eligible to apply, an organization must:
- Be a 501(c)3 public nonprofit charity as sanctioned by the IRS;
- Serve areas where the funding source operates stores (across the United States), distribution centers (Columbus, OH; Tremont, PA; Durant, OK; Montgomery, AL; Rancho Cucamonga, CA), or the corporate office (Columbus, Ohio);
- Not exhibit discriminatory behavior or practices
Requests from individuals, families, and other sources will not be accepted.
For a list of expenses that are not funded please see: https://www.biglots.com/images/marketing/corporate/community/donationrequestguidelines.pdf#page=2
Grant and sponsorship requests currently are accepted on a rolling basis through the application portal. Big Lots Foundation staff will notify nonprofits directly with the determination three months after the application deadline of January 1 or July 1. Please do not phone for status of your request. Please note: Faxed, mailed or emailed requests will not be considered.
Spring - Summer Requests:
- January 1, 2019 at Midnight PST
- Organizations will be notified of their application status in March 2019
Fall - Winter Requests:
- July 1, 2019 at Midnight PST
- Organizations will be notified of their application status in September 2019
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To apply: https://givebig.givebesa.org/grants/new
Store locator: http://local.biglots.com/
USA: Alabama; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming