Foundation / Corporation
07/15/19 - Deadline for Media Production Grants; Media Planning and Preproduction Grant applications are due on the 1st business day of each month.
Grants of up to $2,000 and grants of up to $20,000 to Ohio nonprofit organizations for the preparation, planning, and production of humanities-related media documentary projects. Applicants submitting production proposals are required to submit a draft prior to submitting the final application. Funding is intended to support innovative film, digital, audio, and photographic projects that create a deeper understanding of history and culture.
Ohio Humanities supports innovative humanities-informed documentary projects that are accessible to a broad public audience. Media projects should focus on topics that enhance an understanding of Ohio and its culture, people, and history. Project applications should demonstrate that the media program will be suitable for statewide and national audiences through internet or other digital platforms, broadcast, and exhibition.
The Ohio Humanities Media Grant program includes two types of grants:
I. Production Grants:
Because media projects typically require funding at levels greater than Ohio Humanities can support, project directors are encouraged to seek multiple sources of support.
II. Planning and Preproduction Grants:
Grants may be used for planning and preproduction for a media project. Such grants may be used for research, consultations with humanities scholars, and preparing a script treatment or statement of user experience, and preliminary capture of material.
Successful projects will have an Ohio connection, humanities perspectives, and a plan for broad distribution. Radio and television documentaries should be targeted for public broadcast. A project that utilizes students or other non-professional humanities individuals must include a humanities professional in a supervisory role.
Eligible grant expenditures may include:
- Honoraria for humanities scholars and advisors;
- Salaries or fees for production staff and technical consultants (not to exceed 30% of the total grant request);
- Production and post-production expenses;
- Rights to use archival materials;
- Supplies and materials for production activities;
- Lesson plan development for use in schools;
- Rental or purchase of equipment or software (not to exceed 20% of the total grant request);
- Travel, lodging, and per diem expenses for staff, consultants, and advisors
- Administrative costs directly related to the project, or fiscal agent fees (up to 10% of total Ohio Humanities grant request);
- Public program expenses (e.g., room rental for premiere);
- Publicity expenses directly related to the project.
GrantWatch ID#: 181841
- Production Grants: Maximum $20,000
- Planning and Preproduction Grants: Maximum $2,000
Ohio Humanities does not invest more than $23,000 in any one project.
For Media Production projects with a Deadline of July 15, 2019, projects will begin after November 1, 2019.
Ohio Humanities gives grants to non-profit organizations incorporated in the state of Ohio. Independent or out-of-state media makers must seek a fiscal agent to sponsor their project.
Organizations must have a DUNS number.
Ohio Humanities is unlikely to fund:
- Projects that emphasize skills training, motivation and empowerment, or the process of learning rather than reflection on and discussion of specific humanities issues.
- Projects that emphasize the creative process or the art form (theater, dance, music, opera, visual, etc.) rather than the cultural, aesthetic, or historical contexts of art.
- Projects that focus on construction, preservation, restoration, or the purchase of collections for museums or libraries.
- Creation or purchase of a mural, memorial, monument, or plaque.
Ohio Humanities does not fund:
- Projects that advocate for political, religious, or ideological points of view;
- Institutional histories produced by and/or partially funded by the institution itself for an internal audience;
- Promotional or informational projects intended to inform the public about an organization, product, or service;
- Archival projects;
- Design and creation of new hardware;
- Creation of proprietary software platforms and programs;
- Exhibitions that do not include interpretation;
- Media art and performance pieces;
- Recordings of conferences, lectures, workshops, or performances;
- Scholarships, internships, or projects that result in academic credit.
- Projects that discriminate against persons or groups.
1. Media Production Grants:
- Applicants should submit a full draft online before the application deadline. (A draft should be submitted at the appropriate draft deadline and then make necessary changes in time to submit the final application by the appropriate application deadline.)
- Application Deadline: July 15, 2019. Draft must be submitted by June 14, 2019 for projects beginning after November 1, 2019.
- Ohio Humanities reviews media grant proposals twice each year. All applications must be submitted via the online application system.
2. Media Planning Grants:
- Deadlines are the first business day of each month and at least eight weeks before the start date of the funded activity. Drafts submitted online are recommended by not required.
- Applicants are encouraged to discuss their projects with a program officer before completing the application.
Organizations may only have one open grant with Ohio Humanities at any time.
For additional information about the grants program:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online Application Portal: http://forms.ohiohumanities.org/app/humanities/edit
David J. Merkowitz, PhD, Program Officer
471 East Broad Street, Suite 1620
Columbus, Ohio 43215-3857
Toll Free: 800.293.9774